These are literally the best healthy, gluten free cranberry orange muffins that are super easy to make and so moist and fluffy. This simple recipe results in the perfect hint of tartness from the cranberries mixed in with the sweetness of the maple syrup with an amazing combination of orange zest folded in. Top them off with a crazy good orange glaze for that bakery-style look and taste. This is a must try muffin recipe for sure!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk like coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour – I used King Arthur’s Cup for Cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Turbinado sugar for topping
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
For the orange glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 6 or 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Add the wet ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine into a smooth, slightly thick batter.
- Add the cranberries to the batter and carefully fold them in.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups all the way to the top. This will ensure you get those bakery-style muffin tops on the muffins when they bake. I used a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to evenly measure the batter.
- Top each muffin with a pinch of turbinado sugar and place them in the middle rack of the oven to bake for 17-25 minutes. Once a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean, then the muffins are done.
- Let them cool for at least 10-15 minutes.
- To make the glaze: Add the sugar and orange juice to a small bowl and whisk well to combine it into a smooth shiny glaze.
- Once the muffins are slightly cooled, use a spoon the drizzle the glaze over each muffin. You can do this either in the pan or take the muffins out of the pan, place them onto a plate and then glaze them.
- Use gluten free all purpose flour like King Arthurs Measure for Measure Flour that already has Xanthum Gum in the mix. Almond flour will not work in this recipe.
- Make sure your baking powder and baking soda are not expired since that can really affect the results of these muffins.
- I used fresh cranberries but frozen, thawed cranberries will also work in this recipe.
- You can use fresh squeezed or store-bought orange juice.
- You can make these muffins in a 6 cup or 12 cup muffin pan. For the 6 cup muffin pan it will take around 22-25 minutes to bake. For the 12 cup muffin pan these will bake in about 17 minutes.
- To make sure the muffins are done, insert a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins and pull it out quickly. If it comes out clean or with wet crumbs on it then they are done.
- Let the muffins cool for at least 10 minutes before you add the glaze, which is optional but totally worth it.
- These muffins can be stored on the counter but not in an airtight container. I like to put mine on a plate and cover them with plastic wrap or foil. They will last for about 2-3 days until they start to become slightly dry.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American