Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken that takes 20 minutes. It is perfectly seasoned and comes out nice and moist and delicious. You can make it for meal prep and enjoy it all week long in chicken tacos, soup, wraps, or even on pizza.
- 1.5 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts ( I used 3 (4–5 ounce chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken stock – I used low sodium
- Place the chicken breasts into the instant pot in a single layer. Combine the seasoning (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder) in a small bowl. Season each chicken breast evenly with the seasoning on both sides.
- Pour the chicken stock around the chicken breasts and secure the lid and set it to the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot in manual mode to cook for 10 minutes. It will take 5-10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure before it starts to count down the 10 minutes of cook time.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps and the 10 minutes are up, carefully do a quick release to release extra pressure then remove the lid. Use a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of one of the chicken breasts to determine if it is done cooking. It is fully cooked once the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- If the chicken is not done then continue to cook it in 2-minute intervals until it is fully cooked. When it is done, remove it from the pot, place it onto a clean plate and shred it using two forks. You can strain and reserve any extra liquid left in the bottom of the pot to use in soups or chili.
- Use it right away or transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Use chicken breasts that are the same size for more even cooking.
- Make sure to use enough liquid so the bottom of the pot does not burn. 1 cup was the perfect amount for 1.5-2 lbs of chicken breast.
- You can shred the chicken right in the instant pot if you prefer.
- Store the cooked, shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Place the chicken into a freezer-friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. Make sure to press out any extra air if using a freezer bag to store it. Defrost it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it as noted below when you are ready to use it.
- Reheat in portions in the microwave until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot shredded chicken, shredded chicken breast, shredded chicken in the instant pot, instant pot, shredded chicken recipe