This Healthy Chicken Parmesan is breaded with a delicious panko and parmesan mixture and seasoned with garlic and Italian seasoning. It is air-fried without any oil at all but it still comes out super moist and crispy golden brown and tastes just like traditional chicken Parmesan. This super easy recipe requires only a few ingredients and can be ready in 10 minutes.
- 2 4-5 oz chicken breasts – cut into cutlets (see notes on how to cut them)
- 2 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2–3 large eggs
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped basil and parsley for topping
- Set up the dredging station. To do this, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper in a medium shallow bowl and mix to combine. In A separate shallow bowl, crack and whisk the eggs and season them with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the chicken onto a paper towel lined plate next to the breadcrumbs and eggs.
- Coat the chicken. Dip each chicken cutlet into the egg to coat it completely then dip it in the breadcrumbs, pressing the breading into the chicken as you dredge it. Place the breaded chicken onto a clean plate. Continue until you have coated all of the chicken.
- Cook the chicken parmesan. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Once it is ready, place the chicken into the air fryer in a single layer and spray each piece with olive oil spray. Close the basket and cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side. Then top each piece with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese and more parmesan if desired.
- Cook for 2 more minutes at 400 degrees F to melt the cheese. Continue until you have cooked all of the chicken.
- Serve. Top with more shredded parmesan cheese and some chopped basil or parsley. Serve warm with a side salad or on top of your favorite pasta.
- Use good quality organic chicken breast for the healthiest version of this recipe.
- To slice the chicken breasts into cutlets, press down on the chicken breast lightly with one hand and use your dominant hand to slice through the chicken from one end to the other using a sharp kitchen knife and slicing it open like a book. Then slice it down the middle to separate the two halves. Follow this method to cut both pieces of chicken, giving you 4 chicken cutlets.
- Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free panko breadcrumbs.
- To make this chicken recipe even more crispy add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the breadcrumb mixture and mix it in with your hands pressing it into the breadcrumbs to make the coating nice and crunchy.
- Adjust the cooking times based on the thickness of your chicken cutlets. The cutlets I used were about 3/4 of an inch in thickness and took about 5 minutes on each side to cook all the way through. This will ensure you get a super crispy outer layer with a nice juicy, tender inside.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: healthy dinner ideas
- Method: Air-Fryer
- Cuisine: italian