Soft and fluffy cauliflower gnocchi, sautéed in a creamy dairy-free sauce with hearty mushrooms and spinach. The perfect low-carb weeknight dinner. Ready in less than 25 minutes, gluten-free and absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!
- 1 package store-bought cauliflower gnocchi (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 up diced red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp dried basil or oregano
- 1 cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (if not making this fully vegan)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
Prepare the cauliflower gnocchi
- Now, there are a couple of methods suggested on the package but the preferred way and I agree is to steam it in a pan on the stove then sauté it so the bottoms get nice and crispy brown.
To do this you just add the gnocchi (frozen) to a sauté pan on the stovetop with some water, cover and steam it for about 5-6 minutes. You want all of the water to become absorbed. Then just add a little butter or oil to the pan, turn up the heat to medium-high heat and let those little babies get nice and crispy. This takes about 3-4 minutes. Season the gnocchi with salt and pepper and set it aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Make the creamy veggie-filled sauce
- Heat up a skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the diced red onion, mushrooms and garlic. Let that cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms start to get nice and golden brown.
- Add in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, dried basil or oregano and stir to combine it with the veggies. Season with more salt and pepper. Let that come to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in the coconut milk and stir it in with all of those deliciously simmered veggies and let that all cook for 2 more minutes.
Put it all together
- Add in the cooked gnocchi and stir. Let that all cook for 2 minutes. Finally, stir in the grated parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper if needed, based on taste.
- Plate and top with freshly chopped herbs like basil or parsley and more grated parmesan cheese.
- To clean the mushrooms: Use a slightly damp, clean kitchen towel or paper towel to gently rub off any visible dirt. Never run them under water since that will make them rubbery and less flavorful.
- If you don’t have spinach then you can use sliced kale or collard greens.
- To make this fully vegan skip the parmesan cheese or use vegan nut and seed parmesan cheese.
- This is best if eaten right away but can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Although it will lose a little bit of flavor but will still be delicious. To reheat: Heat in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, top with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese to freshen it up. You could also reheat in a pan on the stovetop.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: sautéed
- Cuisine: American