This easy zucchini cake is both light and richly flavorful. Topped with a healthy cream cheese frosting, it’s the ideal summer dessert that’s sure to be a hit at any gathering. Plus, it is gluten-free.
For the zucchini cake
- 2 medium zucchini – (2 cups grated)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups, packed, blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the cream cheese frosting
- 6 ounces softened light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking pan (I used a metal pan) with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Use a box grater to shred the zucchini then place it into a clean towel and wring out the extra water from the zucchini and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter, then fold in the zucchini.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan in an even layer and bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. Remove the cake and let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then carefully remove it from the pan and place it onto a clean, flat surface until it completely cools. You can use the parchment paper to easily pull the cake from the pan.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: add all of the frosting ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Until it forms a thick, white frosting.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake, and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and lemon zest, if desired.
- Cut the cake into individual slices and enjoy!
- Do not skip the step for removing the extra water from the zucchini or your cake will turn out too wet on the inside.
- Make sure to allow the cake to completely cool before you frost it or the frosting will melt.
- This zucchini cake can easily be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or frozen before frosting (see suggestions in the post).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Healthy Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini cake, zucchini, cake, healthy, gluten free, zucchini recipes