This is the Best Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe that anyone can make. Healthy, vegan, and it only requires a few simple ingredients like fresh cranberries, maple syrup and orange juice and zest. You can easily make it sugar free or even use frozen cranberries. A Perfect side dish for the holidays.
- 1lb fresh or frozen cranberries – I used Ocean Spray brand
- 1 cup of orange juice – store-bought or fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- The zest of 1 orange
- Heat a medium-size pot to medium heat. Add the cranberries, orange juice, maple syrup, and vanilla to the pot. Stir and bring it to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 8 minutes. The cranberries will start to pop open. This is supposed to happen and will help the sauce thicken. Watch the pot to make sure it does not boil over.
- After 8 minutes, check the consistency of the sauce. I like mine a little chunkier so I will mash up some of the remaining whole cranberries with a masher and leave some whole.
- Turn off the heat, transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and top it with the orange zest.
- Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.
- You can use fresh or frozen cranberries but I think fresh cranberries make this recipe way better.
- I used store-bought orange juice but fresh squeezed also works. If you use fresh squeezed then make sure to filter out the pulp first.
- To reduce the sugar in this recipe you can sub the maple syrup with 1/4 cup of stevia or 1/2 cup of munkfruit. It will alter the taste a bit but still come out super delicious.
- This cranberry sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can also freeze this cranberry sauce. To freeze: Transfer the cranberry sauce to a mason jar or freezer-friendly containter and freeze for up to a month. Perfect for Thanksgiving since you can make it in advance and have it ready to go on the big day.
- Category: Dressings, Dips, and Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American