This healthy chicken and broccoli stuffed spaghetti squash is the perfect easy weeknight meal recipe. Tender roasted spaghetti squash, perfectly browned chicken sausage mixed in with broccoli a little cheese and some Italian herbs. It is so creamy and delicious. A great low-carb meal everyone will love!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash – about 2–3 lbs
- 12 oz of chicken sausage – I used Bilinski Organic Chicken Sausage Robust Italian flavor
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot – minced
- 1 clove of garlic – minced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups broccoli florets – cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4–1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley for topping – optional
Cook the squash
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees and spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prep the squash. Using a large kitchen knife carefully slice the squash in half lengthwise. If the squash is too hard to cut through, then cook it in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften it up.
- Then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, and discard the seeds.
- Spray each half of the squash with olive oil cooking spray and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves cut side down on the baking sheet and cook in the center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until a knife can easily be inserted in the middle of each half. Set aside to cool for a few minutes when done.
Make the cheesy filling
- While the squash is cooking, you can make the chicken and broccoli filing. Cook the sausage first by slicing it into medallions and adding it to a pan heated to medium heat on the stovetop. Cook it according to the package instructions. Mine took about 4-5 minutes to brown and cook through. Remove it from the pan, place it into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the same pan you cooked the sausage in. Add in the minced shallot and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss and cook for 2-3 minutes until the shallot and garlic are soft and fragrant. Stir in the Italian seasoning and let that all cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in the cooked broccoli and veggie stock and let that simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese and half of the shredded mozzarella and parmesan. Stir until all of the cheese is melted and forms a nice creamy sauce.
Fill and bake the squash
- Use a fork to scrape the squash strands away from the edges of each half of squash, leaving a small border around each half of squash. Place the strands of squash into a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add the creamy chicken sausage and broccoli filing to the mixing bowl with the squash and stir it all together. Omg, it is so good!
- Fill each half of the squash with the filing and top with the remaining cheese.
- Set the oven to broil and cook the squash for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove, let cool for a few minutes and top with some parsley.
- If you are short on time, you can cook the spaghetti squash a little bit quicker in the Instant Pot.
- You can substitute the broccoli with either kale or even cauliflower.
- Frozen or fresh broccoli both work in this recipe. For frozen broccoli just cook it according to the package instructions before adding it in the recipe. For fresh broccoli, chop it up into florets, add it to a microwave safe dish, with 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook on high for 3 minutes in the microwave.
- I used a combo of shredded mozzarella and shredded parmesan cheese in this recipe but you could use shredded cheddar cheese or even manchego cheese.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, skip the sausage or use a meat-free sausage that you can purchase at most grocery stores.
- To make this recipe vegan, use a meat-free sausage and vegan cheese.
- This stuffed spaghetti squash stores great in the fridge for up to 3 days. To store, let it cool completely, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, heat it up in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American