These Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Egg Muffins are fluffy, slightly cheesy and are just the perfect light breakfast. Packed with salty sausage, soft bell peppers, a hint of cheddar cheese, garlic and protein packed eggs. They are super easy to make, kid-friendly, and the perfect on the-go meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sausage – I used sugar free + nitrate free turkey sausage
- 1 small white onion – peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper – diced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk – optional for extra fluffy eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers – diced (I used store-bought)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese – optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray or grease a 12 cup muffin pan, set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan or skillet to medium heat, add 1/2 of the oil, then add in the sausage and crumble it up with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and place it onto a towel lined plate to drain. Use a paper towel to wipe the grease out of the pan. Then add a little bit more olive oil and the onions and peppers. Season them with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the veggies are soft and the onions are translucent. Remove and let cool for a few minutes then combine the sausage and veggies in a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a separate mixing bowl, whisk them until they are fully broken down, add the milk, garlic powder and sprinkle of salt and pepper and whisk to combine into a liquidy yellow mixture.
- Divide the sausage and veggie mixture between the muffin cups, top with the diced red pepper and cheese. Pour the egg mixture almost to the top of each muffin cup. There should be just about enough to fill all of them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle and the edges are lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Pop the egg muffins out of the muffin tin and serve warm with your favourite hot sauce and fruit.
- Use good quality pasteurized eggs that are large. I used 12 large eggs for this recipe.
- Good quality sausage is also important since it is a main ingredient. I used sugar free, nitrate free turkey sausage.
- Make sure you cook the veggies before adding them to the muffin cups since cooking them really brings out their flavor.
- Use a cast iron skillet if you have one to cook the sausage and veggies for extra flavor.
- Spray the muffin cups with cooking spray before you fill them so the muffins don’t stick when baked.
- You can leave out the diary in this recipe and the egg muffins will still be fluffy and delicious. I just really like the extra fluffy eggs and cheesy center you get from adding in the milk and cheese.
- You can make these ahead. Cook the veggies and sausage the day before and store the mixture in the fridge in an airtight container. When ready to make, fill the muffin cups, whisk the eggs, pour them in and bake.
- For meal prep. Make the muffins, let them cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Category: Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American