Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese – The perfect recipe to get your kids to eat more veggies! Smooth, creamy, decadent, and comforting just like traditional Mac and cheese but a little lighter. Only a few ingredients and it comes together in less than 10 minutes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper (or less if you don’t like a lot of pepper)
- 16 oz chickpea pasta shells (or any medium-size pasta you like)
- 15 oz bag of frozen, cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- fresh basil leaves for topping
- Set the instant pot to “saute”. Once it indicates “hot”, add in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter is melted, add in the minced shallot and garlic. Toss and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Toss and let that cook with the onions and garlic for 1 more minute. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Turn the instant pot off or select “cancel” or ” warm”. Pour in the dry pasta, frozen butternut squash, 2 cups vegetable stock plus a 1/2 cup of water. Stir everything together and season with some salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid, make sure the steam release vent is set to “sealing” and not “venting”, and set the instant pot in “manual mode” on “high” for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, do a quick release if the instant pot hasn’t automatically started to release the pressure.
- After all of the pressure is released and the instant pot beeps, carefully remove the lid. Add in the shredded cheddar cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, and coconut milk. Stir for about 30-60 seconds, until the cheese is fully melted. It is pure magic! Sprinkle in some more salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate, serve hot and top with fresh basil leaves.
This stores great in the fridge for up to 3 days and can easily be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American