These Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are a healthier yet still crazy delicious version of your favorite classic cookies, slightly crispy on the outside but oh so chewy on the inside. This is a cookie recipe you don’t want to miss!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugars together then add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl mix up the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated but make sure not to over-mix. Fold in oats, chocolate chips then the walnuts.
- Roll out the dough into even-sized balls. I made mine about 1.7 ounces each and made them a little higher rather than wider. This recipe makes about 12-15 cookies.
- Place the cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are starting to get crispy and the middle still looks slightly undercooked. Note: If you are making the cookies in batches then cover the remaining dough and put it in the fridge while you are waiting on the rest of the cookies to bake. This will help ensure the batter doesn’t spread when you make the rest of the cookies.
- Once the cookies are done baking remove them from the oven. Leave them on the pan to cool for at least 30 minutes. After a few minutes, press a few more chocolate chips into the top of each and sprinkle each cookie with a little sea salt. This will make the cookies look a little fancier and make you look like a baking superstar!
Serve warm with a nice cold glass of milk and enjoy!
- You can store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze them in a freezer-friendly container layered in between parchment paper for up to a month.
- Make these gluten-free. You can replace the white flour with all purpose gluten free flour or oat flour. The cookies will come out slightly less chewy but are still super delicious!
- Add other types of nuts or chocolate chips. Don’t like walnuts? You could also use chopped pecans or even pistachios. White chocolate chips would also work if you don’t have chocolate chips on hand.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip, oats, chocolate chip cookies recipe