This homemade vegan hot chocolate is perfectly rich and creamy and so good! It is made with only 6 ingredients in 5 minutes and it is easily made sugar-free! It makes a wonderful comforting treat on those cold winter days.
For the vegan hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup cocoa powder – unsweetened
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For making the vegan hot chocolate
- 1 cup almond milk – or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of vegan hot chocolate mix
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter or cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan protein powder – unflavored.
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Chilli powder or cayenne powder – for a spicy kick
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1–2 shots of espresso or 1 tablespoon of espresso powder
To make the vegan hot chocolate mix
- Add all of the hot chocolate mix ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on high for 10 seconds. You can also mix the ingredients together in a bowl and sift them.
- Transfer the mix to a glass jar fitted with a lid or an airtight container and keep it in the pantry for up to 2 months.
To make the vegan hot chocolate
- Heat the milk and vanilla in a small pot over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Once the milk is hot, whisk in the hot chocolate mix until smooth.
- Pour into mugs and top with mini marshmallows or your favorite toppings.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder – this allows you to control how sweet you make this hot chocolate.
- Good quality higher fat plant-based milk is best for a nice creamy hot chocolate. I used almond milk but coconut milk would also be delicious.
- Use a whisk to combine the hot cocoa mix with the milk which helps it blend in better and get creamier.
- Make sure you don’t add the mix until you have warmed the milk or it won’t blend well.
- The dry mix can be stored in a jar in the pantry for up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Healthy Desserts
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan hot chocolate, homemade hot chocolate, hot cocoa