Recently I am on the Keto train but as a vegetarian which is not the easiest but is totally doable and working like a charm. I just feel better eating less refined carbs and I am finding that I am staying full and satisfied for longer periods of time. A huge bonus for me since I am so busy as I am sure you all are. This Vegan Keto Portobello Mushroom pizza was so good I ate all four of them! Over a few days of course but it was such a wonderful meal prep recipe!
Meaty portobello mushrooms cooked until they were nice and tender and juicy (about 4-5 minutes), topped with my favorite romesco sauce, kale and soft vegan cheese. Just simply the perfect meal in my opinion and just absolutely DELICIOUS!
My son (who just turned 6) said, “Mommy that looks so good!”. He wouldn’t eat it of course but at least he recognized that it looked delicious and it was!
The deal on portobello mushrooms
Portobello mushrooms are common mature mushrooms that have a very meaty flavor, contain plant based protein, fiber and potassium and can be used in many ways.
Check out some of my other delicious recipes using portobello mushrooms.
How I made this very easy delicious pizza
I started with the portobello mushrooms of course!
Start by cleaning them out and then drizzle them with love oil, salt and pepper. Then just lay them on a baking sheet and bake them at 425 degrees F for about 6-7 minutes.
Once they are done you will need to lay them on a paper towel for 1-2 minutes to drain any excess liquid.
Then just fill each one with my favorite romesco sauce (roasted red peppers, almonds, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper), some torn lacinato kale and some soft vegan cheese.
Finally, you just bake them for 2-3 more minutes at 425 degrees F and then for 1 more minute under the broiler and they are done!
How INCREDIBLE do these look? My mouth is watering just looking at these photos! Check out this recipe you will be making it all the time! Be on the look out for more of my Ketotarian inspired recipes!
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup torn lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup soft vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Prep and cook the mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Clean the mushrooms using a damp towel, remove the stem and clean out the gills.
- Brush each one all over with some of the olive oil (about 1-2 tablespoons covers all 4)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay face-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove and lay the mushrooms on a paper towel to drain any excess liquid. Wipe the baking sheet clean as well.
Make the romesco sauce
- Place the roasted bell peppers, minced garlic, vinegar, almonds, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper into a blender and pulse until fully emulsified.
Assemble and cook the pizzas
- Lay the mushrooms face-side up on the baking sheet and top each evenly with some of the romesco sauce, torn kale and cheese.
- Bake in the 425 degree F oven for 2-3 minutes. Increase the oven temp to broil and bake them for 1 more minute to get the tops nice and melty. YUM!
Remove, let cool for a few minutes and ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 pizza
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g