Three Ingredient Berry Empanadas! These are awesome! This is my kind of recipe since baking is not my best talent. I came up with this recipe just by looking in my fridge at ingredients I had lurking on the shelves. Most of my recipes have been derived from ingredients I had since most of us busy mom’s typically cook that way.
Some store-bought pie crust and some delicious berry jam were the perfect combination. Plus I needed to use up the jam since my kids wanted the PB&J sammies without the jam. I thought, wow I bet I could make sweet empanadas with that, bake them, dust them with sugar and there you go. A super easy sweet treat you can make in no time at all!
It worked out in the end. Baked to perfection, with the delicious jam spilling out of them then sprinkled with powdered sugar. Heaven in a tiny package!
Making the empanadas
First you need to preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Then the fun part comes in, making these cute little packages of goodness! Super easy. Just roll out the dough (ingredient number one) with a rolling-pin and cut circles using a biscuit cutter or whatever round glass you may have on hand. I couldn’t find my biscuit cutter so I used a martini glass.
Brush them with egg wash (ingredient number 2) and place about a tablespoon of the jam (ingredient number three) in the center.
Fold it into a half-moon shape and pierce the edges with a fork. You also want to put a slit in the top for venting and plus it looks pretty once it bakes.
So cute right? I love these little treats!
Put them in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up so the filling doesn’t seep out during the baking process. It Really is fun and exciting when the recipes turn out great like this one did. Finally I simply baked them off and they were done. I sprinkled them with a little powdered sugar but you can certainly omit that step. They are just fine without it.
I hope you try these out and please let me know what you think!
- 2 packages store bought pie crust at room temperate (about 70 degrees)
- 1 cup berry jam
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar for dusting (OPTIONAL)
- Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface.
- Using a biscuit cutter or the top of a round glass, cut out your circles.
- Crack the egg and whisk it with a little water.
- Brush each circle of pie dough with the egg wash.
- Place a tablespoon of the jam in the center and fold the dough over into a half moon shape.
- Pierce the sides with a fork and add in a few slits on the top to vent and place on a plate. Continue with this process until you have used all of your dough.
- Place the empanadas in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- Place the empanadas on a baking sheet, brush the outside with more of the egg wash and bake them for 22 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and top with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g Protein: 2g