Homemade Goldfish Crackers! This recipe has been calling my name for a while since you probably all know that I have two little munchkins and as most kids do, my kids LOVE Goldfish Crackers but every time they eat them I cringe a little since I know there are some “not so nice” ingredients in them. I was determined to create a homemade version that I could Make pretty easily. I started looking at the “Ingredients” list on the back of the bag and noted the ingredients that I understood (i.e flour, cheddar cheese, baking powder etc..), then I wrote about how much of each I figured was needed to make a dough. I added in some milk, onion powder and salt and wallah, Goldfish cracker dough. So easy I really could not believe it!
I cannot wait for my kids to come home and try these out! I am actually waiting on the edge of my seat lol! They really taste like goldfish crackers and I can feel good about feeding them to my kids since they are made with “REAL” and “WHOLE” ingredients.
Like I said just a few simple ingredients:
- Cheddar cheese (I used Sharp Cheddar Cheese)
- All purpose flour
- Vegetable Oil
- Onion powder
- Baking powder
A few super easy steps:
- Mix the ingredients together to form a dough
- Knead the dough for a few minutes (I love to do this)
- Let the dough sit for 10-15 minutes on the counter
- Roll out the dough pretty thin so the crackers will be crispy
- Cut the dough with the cookie cutter of your choice (I used fish cookie cutters I bought on Amazon)
- Place the crackers on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes
- Top with a sprinkle of kosher salt and they are ready to eat!
- 1.5 cups finely grated Sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup All purpose flour, sifted
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Place cheddar cheese, flour, baking powder, onion powder and salt into a mixing bowl and mix using a rubber spatula.
- Add in the milk and oil and mix until a dough forms (it should come together pretty quickly).
- On a floured, flat surface knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Let the dough sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat of Parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough and cut your shapes. I used fish cookie cutters I bought on Amazon. You can use any shape you like of course.
- Place the crackers on the lined baking sheet and bake in the middle rack of your preheated oven for 7-8 minutes. Ovens vary so watch them so they don't burn.
- Remove and top with a sprinkle of kosher salt and enjoy!
- These store great in an airtight container. The kids will LOVE them!