Cucumber mixed with thinly shaved onions and a tangy lemon dressing. This salad is super easy, contains only a few ingredients and is definitely a crowd pleaser. Bonus: The longer it sits the better it gets!
Cucumber is one of those foods that is considered a zero calorie food due to its high water content. Good news is they are also high in B vitamins and aid in digestion and reducing stress so I try to eat them regularly. My kids also LOVE them so I always have them on hand. I also always have red onion since it is one of my favorite ingredients to put in a salad or on top of soups or chili. So I decided to combine the two into this delicious salad and I added a nice tangy lemon vinegar dressing that took it to a whole new level. It is fresh, light, crispy and so good for you!
You can make this even if you only have a few minutes to spare!
Once again this took minutes which in most cases is all of the time I have to make a healthy dish so it totally works for me! However the bonus was the fact that the result was crunchy and tangy. Two of my favorite things in a salad. Additionally, the more this salad sits the more the flavors of the dressing are absorbed by the cucumbers and onions which make it a crowd pleaser for sure!
Super tangy and crunchy!
- 1 large cucumber sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 Red onion thinly shaved (I used a mandolin)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons White wine or red wine vinegar
- The juice of two lemons (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 tsp good quality Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the thinly shaved red onion into a small bowl and add the vinegar with a sprinkle of salt.
- Mix gently, cover and let sit for a few minutes.
- Add the cucumbers to a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk all ingredients except the olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Add in the olive oil slowly, while whisking to emulsify.
- Combine the red onions with the cucumbers.
- Add the dressing and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.