I was on the lookout for an easy cornbread recipe to pair with my chili and I found so many that could work but then I quickly realized that I had blue cornmeal and not yellow cornmeal. Well, what is a girl to do other than swap out the yellow for the blue of course to wow everybody with this Easy Surprising Blue Cornbread!
Luckily for me it turned out great! I actually found a great recipe using the blue cornmeal but then had no greek yogurt so another substitute I had to use was buttermilk. Well, I did not have any so I made my own (which I did not know could be done) by combining milk and lemon juice and letting it sit on the counter for 15 minutes. It actually worked! OMG! I am starting to feel like a real chef! A real Home Chef that is.
I baked it in the oven in my cast iron pan (first time doing that) and it was so delicious and easy. Kids and husband approved, which is the most important thing of course. The added texture from the whole corn kernels did the trick!
- 1 cup of buttermilk or greek yogurt - see notes section for how to make buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 cup finely ground blue cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Place the buttermilk, milk, eggs,melted butter and sugar into a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the corn kernels.
- Pour the batter into a well greased cast iron pan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Until a fork can cleanly be inserted.
- Remove, let cool, Slice, top with butter and ENJOY!
- To make your own buttermilk: Place one cup of whole or 2% milk into a bowl and add in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir and let sit on the counter for 15 minutes until you see the milk curdle at the top. So easy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 288mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 8g