Soft and crispy potato gnocchi with sweet peas, zesty lemon and salty parmesan make this Spring Pea Gnocchi the perfect spring dish for lunch or dinner. Ready in less than 30 minutes and great for meal prep. Vegetarian and Gluten-Free!
I am so ready for spring but also so grateful that this winer has been kind to us here in N. C. This Spring Pea Gnocchi with Lemon is the perfect dish to ring in spring and it’s so easy to make but will taste like you have been slaving over the stove for an hour. Store-bought gnocchi (how great is it that you can buy already made gnocchi?), spring peas (I used frozen), fresh, bright lemon and parmesan. Yum! The combo of the sweet peas with the zesty lemon and salty parmesan all mixed together with light, slightly crispy gnocchi is the kind of dish I want for dinner this time of year. Pair with a nice glass of white wine and it is literally PERFECT in every way!!!
Things I love about this Spring Pea Gnocchi with Lemon?
- EASY to MAKE!
- Crispy, pillowy gnocchi – one of my favorite things
- Sweet peas
- Hint of lemon
- Salty parmesan cheese – greatest cheese ever!
- Light but also filling and oh so satisfying
- Perfect recipe for spring!
How to make this Spring Pea Gnocchi with Lemon
Start with the store-bought gnocchi. You can make your own, I have made my own many times but it is a little time consuming but a fun date-night in idea or cooking party activity. Since I was making this for you all and my kids were running amuck I opted for the easier way out and took the help from the store. On a side note, have any of you tried the new cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joes? I have been meaning to check it out! I need to get over there and get some asap! Anyway, let’ get back to this Spring Pea Gnocchi that will make you smile from ear to ear.
How to cook gnocchi
Bring a pot of water to a boil, season with some salt and pour in the gnocchi. While the gnocchi is cooking, bring a medium size skillet to medium high heat on the stovetop, add in a tablespoon of butter (I used vegan butter), and a tablespoon of olive oil.
Once the gnocchi floats to the top of the pot (it takes like 1-2 minutes), pull it out with a slotted or mesh spoon and add it immediatley to the hot skillet with the butter and oil. Toss the gnocchi in the butter and oil sauce for a few minutes until it get’s nice and brown and crispy on the outside. Remove and set a aside.
Now it’s time for the peas
I used frozen peas, again taking a little help from the store.
Just add the peas to the same pan you toasted the gnocchi in and cook them for a few minutes until they are cooked through. I added a little freshly minced garlic as well since I ALWAYS have to have my garlic.
Finally, just add the peas to the gnocchi, sprinkle with freshly squeezed lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and toss in a few handfuls of parmesan and this Spring Pea Gnocchi Dinner is READY!
The Best Part of all!
This store great in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days and it’s just as good. I love an easy recipe that works for meal prep! I mean who wouldn’t want to have this for lunch or dinner any day of the week right? Score!!!!
- 14 oz bag of gluten-free store-bought gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used vegan butter since it's my fave)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- the juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Cook the gnocchi
- Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil, add some salt to season the water.
- Pour in the gnocchi
- While the gnocchi is cooking, heat up a medium size skillet on the stovetop, add in the butter and olive oil.
- When the gnocchi floats to the top of the pot it is ready, remove it using a slotted or mesh spoon and immediately add it to the skillet with the butter and oil sauce and season it with salt and pepper.
- Let the gnocchi toast in the butter and oil sauce for a few minutes until it starts to get nice and brown and crispy.
- Remove and set aside.
Cook the peas
- Add the minced garlic to the same pan that you cooked the gnocchi in and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the peas, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss, cook for 2-3 minutes until the peas are nice and tender.
Put it all together
- Add the peas to the gnocchi, drizzle everything with the fresh lemon juice, add in the parmesan and toss.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Plate and ENJOY!!!
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat: Portion out 1 cup and heat on high in the microwave for about 90 seconds.
To make vegan just use vegan gnocchi and vegan parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 44mg Sodium: 291mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 10g