Sushi lovers will rejoice over this spicy deconstructed sushi bowl. Better than take-out and it comes together in less than 20 minutes. It’s also packed with plant based protein, vibrant veggies, soft cooked brown rice and topped with spicy mayo, sesame seeds and crisp watercress.
I don’t know about you but I LOVE veggie sushi rolls! Mix in some salty soy sauce and some creamy avocado and I am sold! This spicy deconstructed sushi bowl has it all! Well, except the roll part. Crispy tofu, fresh veggies, fluffy brown rice and pickled ginger all topped with an incredibly easy spicy mayo that you will want to put on everything!
SO WHAT IS A DECONSTRUCTED SUSHI BOWL?
This recipe is a deconstructed version of a veggie sushi roll that contains no raw fish but still has all of the amazing fillings like: fresh veggies, fluffy rice and spicy yummy sauce. It also has some marinated tofu for extra protein and crispy deliciousness.
Although, in all honesty I could just eat the uber crispy, perfectly seasoned tofu all by itself and call it day. But I guess we should add in some veggies and top it all off with a sauce just to make it a complete meal.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A DECONSTRUCTED SUSHI BOWL?
Most of the work involved is in making the tofu but trust me it is so simple and totally worth the entire 20 minutes it takes to make it!
First step is to prep and cook up the crispy tofu.
- Rinse the tofu and press out all of the liquid – this ensures super crispy results.
- Whisk some soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey or agave , ginger and garlic in a bowl.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, add it to the sauce and let it sit for a few minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- After about 10 minutes, heat up a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to medium-high heat. Add in the marinated tofu, toss it in the oil and let it cook until super crispiness is achieved, tossing while it cooks so it gets crispy on all sides.
Then just build your sushi bowls. Oh and make the yummy spicy sauce. To make the sauce, just mix up about 1/2 cup of vegan mayo with a few tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce. It is so simple yet so amazing and tasty.
Sushi bowl ingredients:
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Pickled ginger
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Yummy spicy mayo!
Let’s build some spicy vegan sushi bowls.
Add some of the rice to a bowl, top with the crispy tofu and veggies, drizzle everything with the spicy sauce, add some watercress and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. It’s simply the perfect meal all in one beautiful bowl!
I am not sure anything else makes me this happy!!! A good movie, this sushi bowl and a glass of wine would make for the perfect night in!
Right? You get me, I know you do!
- Not a fan of tofu? Swap the crispy tofu with shelled edamame, chickpeas or even cooked, sliced portobello mushrooms.
- Mix up the veggies. Use any crisp veggies you would normally eat raw like sliced bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, corn or even sliced zucchini.
- Sub the brown rice with quinoa, rice noodles or even ramen.
- For the yummy spicy sauce, you can swap the vegan mayo with vegan yogurt. Just add in a squeeze of lime juice just for that added zesty citrus flavor.
I hope you try this recipe out! If you do, please leave a comment and rating below.
For the Crispy Tofu
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sushi bowls
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 3 carrots sliced thin into strips
- 1 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seed removed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickles ginger - found in the asian food aisle
- Spicy mayo - see notes on how to make
- 1 cup fresh watercress
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Juice of 2 limes
MAKE THE CRISPY TOFU:
1. Rinse the tofu, wrap it up in a clean towel and press the moisture out of it. I like to place a heavy pan on top of the wrapped tofu for 10 minutes or so to press out the excess water. Once the tofu is pressed then just dice it into cubes.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add in the tofu and marinate it for about 10 minutes.
3. Heat up a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Remove the excess liquid from the marinated tofu before adding it to the pan. I just used a slotted spoon. Then add the tofu and cook until crispy, tossing while it cooks. Remove and set aside.
ASSEMBLE THE SUSHI BOWLS:
1. Place some rice into the bottom of each bowl. Top with the tofu, veggies and pickled ginger. Drizzle on the spicy mayo, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
2. You can also sprinkle everything with some fresh lime juice to add even more brightness to the bowls.
- To make spicy mayo: Mix 1/2 cup vegan mayo with 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce.
- You can use any greens like slice spinach or kale it you don't have any watercress.
- Not a fan of tofu? Swap the tofu out for shelled edamame, chickpeas or even some sautéed, sliced portobello mushrooms.
- This is a great make-ahead meal since you can easily make the tofu, cook the rice, slice the veggies and make the sauce in advance and assemble the bowl when you are ready to eat it!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 622mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 22g Sugar: 22g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 28g