It’s finally fall! Yay! Freshly Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese are on the menu and my family is giving me a round of applause for this recipe pairing.
My favorite time of year for good food and the best running weather. Yes, for me those two go hand in hand. There are many produce items that are in peak season so the flavors are amazing but tomatoes are abundant and we are in need of great recipes to use them up. What is better than homemade Roasted Tomato Soup with a Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich? Not much!
During the weekend I like to create an indulgent meal (for us grilled cheese is an indulgence) to reward my husband and I for being so good with our diet all week (don’t get me wrong we still ate great food but nothing like this!). I knew tomato soup was on the menu but since it is a healthier soup, I knew I needed something a little more naughty to pair it with for our cheat meal. I figured, what goes better with tomato soup than grilled cheese? So, I was trying to think of a spin on grilled cheese since I am not the biggest fan of traditional grilled cheese that is usually made with white bread and cheddar cheese (so not my thing). I do love the idea of a grilled sandwich that is toasty on the outside and melty and gooey on the inside, so I came with this concoction.
I love a hearty whole grain bread and pesto is one of my favorite things (that is probably obvious due to all of my recipes with pesto incorporated in them). I don’t know what it is about pesto, maybe it’s that amazing smell that basil has and add in some parmesan cheese and lemon and garlic and it’s magic! Pair it with the best cheese of all in my opinion, goat cheese and there you have it. A perfect mix of tangy, herby and cheesy. Pillowed between two slices of grilled and lightly buttered whole grain bread and it just screams, go ahead, indulge yourself and take a bite!
All ingredients I regularly have on hand but I did have to go and get the goat cheese since it is not something I typically eat, but I do enjoy it once in a great while. If I ate it regularly, it would get out of hand since it is so good!
This sandwich came together in a snap. All I had to do was assemble it and then grill it to perfection. Easy, Peasy!
Wow! I could just stop and dream about how amazing that sandwich was all day!
Now, on to the tomato soup. Let me tell you, this soup came out so good. I have made tomato soup many times but this time I thought, let me roast the tomatoes and veggies first to bring out their flavor. I used a similar technique for my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup that was amazing so I figured it was a good bet it would work well, and it did.
I love all of the colors and once they roasted the smell was incredible! After the veggies were done I added some canned tomatoes to my large pan along with some key seasonings and veggies stock to start a nice tomato bath for my roasted veggies.
Then I added the roasted tomatoes and veggies and cooked it for a little bit to allow all of the flavors to get acquainted. Then, I let my immersion blender work it’s magic and blended all of the ingredients into a smooth, deliciously soupy pot of greatness!
There you go! That’s it. Sunday lunch perfection. Paired with a nice crisp white wine or hearty red wine and it would also be a fabulous dinner for two or for a dinner party. I’d say that was a pretty successful meal that I will have to make like every weekend. Until next time…
Please try and enjoy!
- 8 roma tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 cloves of garlic, 2 minced, 4 whole
- 7 sprigs of green onions
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 parmesan rind or 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 12 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 cup herb goat cheese
- Butter (I love Earth Balance Vegan Butter)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place tomatoes, scallions, onions and whole garlic cloves on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and a little oregano.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until you can smell them.
- Remove the veggies and tomatoes from the oven and set aside.
- Heat up a large pan (I used a dutch oven) to medium high heat and add in some olive oil.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and diced tomatoes to the pan, season with salt, pepper, diced garlic cloves, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chili powder and add in the parmesan rind. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add in some dried basil, vegetable stock, sugar and the roasted tomatoes and veggies.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove from the burner. Remove the parmesan rind.
- Using an immersion Blender, blend all of the ingredients until smooth and soupy.
- Return to a low simmer until ready to eat. Garnish with freshly cut basil Enjoy!
- Heat up a grill pan and lightly spray it with cooking spray.
- Slather all slices of whole grain bread with goat cheese on one side each.
- Spread pesto on all the sliced of bread ontop of the goat cheese. Put the slices together, making 6 sandwiches.
- Butter the bread of each side of the sandwiches and place on the grill, 3 at a time, flipping half way. You should see nice grill marks on each side.
- Remove from grill pan, let cool a few minutes, cut into quarters and serve with the tomato soup!
- You're welcome!!!!