In preparation for Thanksgiving I have been testing out a lot of recipes that will work for a meatless main dish or a side for those consuming the turkey. I stumbled upon this recipe last year and never ended up making it. Well, I finally made it and it was amazing! Roasted stuffed butternut squash filled with this incredible quinoa cranberry and kale filing matched with protein packed chickpeas. So heart healthy and satisfying and perfect for the holidays!
In my opinion, it was pretty simple to make but I do cook a lot so I will say for those of you that don’t cook much this would be a good place to start. It involves roasting the butternut squash witch is a technique you can use for any type of squash, a great skill to have! Making the quinoa and sautéing the kale and garlic are also good starting points for any new cook and then putting it all together. A very impressive dish that will make your friends and family believe you are on your way to becoming a master chef in your own kitchen!
Step One: Prep and Roast the Squash.
Just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes and it’s done and ready for the next steps.
Step Two: Make the amazing filling!
Drain and rinse the chickpeas, chop and saute” the kale and cook the quinoa. So easy and you can do all of that while the squash is cooking. How easy and efficient is that?
Step Three: Assemble the filling and scoop out the squash to make room for the quinoa and kale mixture.
Step Four: Place the filling into each half of the squash and roast on a baking sheet at 375 degrees until it is browned on the top. So good!
Look at that! So impressive right?
Step Five: Remove the stuffed squash from the oven, top with some parmesan cheese, let cool and enjoy!
Very good and my whole family loved, loved, loved it! I know, there are a lot of exclamations in this post but it is that good!
- 2 Medium Butternut Squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of kale - about 6 cups lightly packed
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Zest of one orange
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet face down.
- Roast the squash in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until a knife can easily be inserted.
- While the squash is cooking, heat up the vegetable stock to a boil and add the quinoa and simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked. Fluff with a fork and let cool a bit on the stove.
- Chop the kale and heat up a medium size skillet with the olive oil, add in the kale and sautéed until wilted then add in the minced garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the kale to the quinoa along with the chickpeas, cranberries, nuts, spices, orange zest and juice, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Remove the squash from the oven and let cool for a few minutes until it is cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out the flesh leaving a half inch border around each squash.
- Fill each squash with the quinoa mixture, top with the parmesan cheese and place on the baking sheet and bake in the 375 degree oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and serve!