Some of my favorite things right now are red peppers and kale. I am not sure why, maybe it’s the bold colors and flavors they both have or just the fact that both ingredients are easy to cook and create recipes with. Either way I am stuck on both so insert this Roasted Red Pepper and Kale Penne and I am hitting a home run! My kiddos (always my inspiration) LOVE red peppers and sometimes kale but PASTA? They would eat pasta for every meal if I would allow it. Which I will a lot but not for EVERY meal guys, you need variety you know. That is why I pulled this dish together. I had some roasted red peppers and kale that I needed to use up and I had also found this incredible whole wheat, flax penne at Earthfare and I was eager to try it. Sauces are also a mild obsession of mine right now so I had to add my roasted red pepper sauce. Psst…it’s so easy to make in literally seconds, okay maybe a minute but it is that quick I promise.
This recipe also has some crazy nutrition
- Plant-based protein
- Vitamins A, B and C
I know!!! How great is all of that power packed nutrition and it’s DELICIOUS! Score! See, healthy food can be delicious too! Basically my main mission in life is to prove this. So far so good right?
To start, just cook up your PASTA!
While the pasta cooks, you can make the sauce. In like 60 seconds!
Pour the ingredients into the blender and blend. So EASY!
See? Seconds. My kind of sauce! Plus it is so good! I added in some greek yogurt for extra creaminess without all of the fat. INCREDIBLE and so pretty! Look at that color.
Once the pasta was done, I drained it and added in my baby kale. I let the heat from the pasta wilt the kale before I added my sauce.
Then I added the magical red pepper sauce and it totally elevated this dish to the next level.
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- the juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 16oz bag of whole wheat penne or any type of pasta you have
- 1 cup fresh baby kale
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the roasted red pepper sauce: Add the red peppers, olive oil, greek yogurt, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a blender and blend well until it resembles a sauce.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it and place it back into the pot.
- Add the kale to the pasta and mix it in allowing the heat from the pasta to wilt the kale.
- Pour the roasted red pepper sauce onto the pasta, stir it in to coat all of the pasta. Serve, top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 3.5g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 300mg Carbohydrates: 80g Fiber: 11.9g Sugar: 2.2g Protein: 16.7g