Rice and beans. A classic go to dish. A perfect example of a meal that provides complete proteins from this dynamic duo. A staple in most families as a side dish but I have created it as the center of the meal. The combination of brown rice paired with black beans turning into an earthy sauce with a splash of lime and parsley. You had me at hello!
This is one of those dishes that I make quite often as you can imagine and I use it as a main meal or ingredient in burritos, soups or chilis. It’s also great as a filling for stuffed peppers or acorn squash in a pinch!
Pretty simple really! It all starts with chopping these beautiful ingredients shown above. Garlic and Parsley (my two faves of all time).
Then you need to cook the rice, either on the stove top or in the microwave. I was short on time as usual so I opted to steam the rice in the microwave.
Then you need to add the garlic and spices to a skillet and cook them for 2-3 minutes. Until you can smell their amazing aroma. Then add in the black beans, veggie stock and a splash of white wine (which I always have of course). Mix that all together scraping the bottom of the pan to get that amazing flavor from cooking the garlic and spices.
Combine that with the rice and cook for another 5-10 minutes. My mouth is watering.
Make sure to stir the rice in well to ensure you get the incredible sauce from the bean mixture fully combined with the rice. Heaven! Add in the lime juice and parsley and there you have it. A classic rice and beans dish that you can have in your recipe file as a go to weekly meal or something you just make to have on hand to use in so many other amazing dishes. I do what I can.
Please enjoy and share with your family and friends!
- 1 15oz can Black beans
- 8oz cooked Brown rice
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- The juice of 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a medium size skillet and add the olive oil
- Add the garlic and spices to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the black beans, salt and pepper and stir everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock and white wine to the beans, stir and scrap the bits off of the bottom of the pan and cook on a low simmer for 10 minutes, until a sauce forms (it's so delicious)
- Add in the brown rice and mix it all together
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add in the lime juice and parsley and stir it all together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!