Hello to the new week ahead which brings on more temptations to indulge in the yummy food that surrounds us this time of year. To help curve myself and my family in the right HEALTHY direction as much as I can, I try to always have good, healthy options tucked away in my fridge that can be heated and devoured quickly. Can you tell that I live in a house full of boys? They are always hungry and always eating so I am getting good at my prep and planning ahead skills for sure!
I stumbled upon this recipe since my kids and husband love quinoa (Yay!) and potatoes. They also love anything that is crispy and in patty form so I figured this one would be a hit!
It was so easy to prepare and I always have sweet potato and cooked quinoa on hand, so I will be making this quite often since it went over so well the first time. Also, as a side note, you’ll want to make a double batch since they will go quick!
It also only included one pan so that is a total score for the win in my book!
Let’s get to the patty making!
I simply cooked the potatoes with the onions and garlic on the stove for about 20 minutes.
After they cooked, I added the potato, onion and garlic mixture to a mixing bowl and gently mashed the potatoes with a fork. I added in the rest of my ingredients and they were ready to be formed into patties and lightly pan fried to golden deliciousness.
I love this part!
To form the patties I used an ice cream scoop to ensure they were all a similar size. Then I heated up the same skillet I used to cook the sweet potatoes with about 1 tablespoon of oil to medium-high heat and added in the 4 patties and cooked them for 3-4 minutes per side. YUM!!!
Aren’t they so cute?
Place them on a dry, clean paper towel to dry and cool for a few minutes and devour.
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Heat a medium or large skillet to medium-low heat and add in 1/2 of the olive oil. Add in the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add in the sweet potato, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Remove the potatoes from the heat and add them to a medium size mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork.
- Add in the quinoa, breadcrumbs, herbs, reaming salt and pepper and mix. Add in the lightly beaten egg to bind it all together.
- Heat up the same pan you cooked the potatoes and onions in.
- While the pan is heating up, form your patties, using an ice cream scoop and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Place 4 patties in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel lined dish to cool. Enjoy!