Love, love, love an Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce!
You would think that with the amount of pasta and pizza I make that I would have posted my super Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce Recipe. I think I was just saving it for a special occasion like three days before Christmas or something like that. I don’t know about you but my kids (3 and 5) are kind of stuck on eating pasta or pizza for 80% of their meals. Which I am sure is fine as long as they are eating but a little part of me longs to sneak a vegetable or two in there. That is how this recipe really came to be. Plus the fact that I needed a tomato sauce that was flavorful and could be made quickly for the moments I realize I am out of sauce but in the midst of making pizza.
That’s actually what happened to me this past Thanksgiving. I wasn’t making pizza but I was making lasagna the morning of and realized I was out of sauce. Luckily I had all of the ingredients to make this Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce and it saved me!
This quick and easy 20 minute tomato sauce also has some veggies that I can easily sneak into my kids by using the immersion blender to blend them into the sauce. Genius I know. I have been doing this since my oldest was 3 and entered the “picky eater” phase.
So how do you make this Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce?
Start with sautéing the veggies. I used onion and bell pepper with some garlic.
Then I added in some tomato paste, let that wake up for a few minutes before I added in the tomato puree, spices, salt and pepper. I also added in some maple syrup to cut through the acidity of the tomatoes and it was such a nice balance of flavors.
Look at that gorgeous bowl of saucy goodness!
I let all of the flavors simmer for 5 minutes before I added in some red wine. Just a 1/4 cup of cabernet leftover from our Hallmark Christmas Movie watching the night before. I always have some type of red wine handy for moments like this. The wine really gave the sauce a nice depth of flavor.
It simmered for another 10 minutes and then I used an immersion blender to blend it all together and it was so good. Literally the BEST easy 20 minute tomato sauce ever! I used it for pizza the night I made this. Shocker I KNOW! The kids are still talking about how good the sauce was on that pizza days later.
So quick and easy but also full of great flavor! Everything I WANT in a 20 Minute TOMATO SAUCE!
Check out some of my favorite recipes using this Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 32oz cans tomato puree
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat up a large pot or dutch oven to medium-high heat on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add in the onions and peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute with the veggies. Add some salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies look translucent and start to brown, add in the tomato paste and stir. Let that cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato puree and the rest of the spices along with some salt and pepper and stir.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, add in the wine and maple syrup and simmer for 10 more minutes. You can stop here if you prefer a chunky tomato sauce.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend up the sauce to a smooth consistency.
- The sauce is done! ENJOY!
This sauce stores great in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63 Total Fat: 1.6g Saturated Fat: 0.2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 26mg Carbohydrates: 11.4g Fiber: 1.8g Sugar: 7.1g Protein: 1.6g