You would think that with the amount of pasta and pizza I make that I would have posted my super Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce Recipe. I think I was just saving it for a special occasion like three days before Christmas or something like that. I don’t know about you but my kids (3 and 5) are kind of stuck on eating pasta or pizza for 80% of their meals. Which I am sure is fine as long as they are eating but a little part of me longs to sneak a vegetable or two in there. That is how this recipe really came to be. Plus the fact that I needed a tomato sauce that was flavorful and could be made quickly for the moments I realize I am out of sauce but in the midst of making pizza.
That’s actually what happened to me this past Thanksgiving. I wasn’t making pizza but I was making lasagna the morning of and realized I was out of sauce. Luckily I had all of the ingredients to make this Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce and it saved me!
This sauce also has some veggies that I can easily sneak into my kids by using the immersion blender to blend them into the sauce. Genius I know. I have been doing this since my oldest was 3 and entered the “picky eater” phase.
So how do you make this incredibly easy sauce?
Start with sautéing the veggies. I used onion and bell pepper with some garlic.
Then I added in some tomato paste, let that wake up for a few minutes before I added in the tomato puree, spices, salt and pepper. I also added in some maple syrup to cut through the acidity of the tomatoes and it was such a nice balance of flavors.
Look at that gorgeous bowl of goodness!
I let all of the flavors simmer for 5 minutes before I added in some red wine. Just a 1/4 cup of cabernet leftover from our Hallmark Christmas Movie watching the night before. I always have some type of red wine handy for moments like this. The wine really gave the sauce a nice depth of flavor.
It simmered for another 10 minutes and then I used an immersion blender to blend it all together and it was so good. I used it for pizza the night I made this. Shocker I KNOW! The kids are still talking about how good the sauce was on that pizza days later.
So quick and easy but also full of great flavor! Everything I WANT in a TOMATO SAUCE!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 32oz cans tomato puree
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat up a large pot or dutch oven to medium-high heat on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add in the onions and peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute with the veggies. Add some salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies look translucent and start to brown, add in the tomato paste and stir. Let that cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato puree and the rest of the spices along with some salt and pepper and stir.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, add in the wine and maple syrup and simmer for 10 more minutes. You can stop here if you prefer a chunky tomato sauce.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend up the sauce to a smooth consistency.
- The sauce is done! ENJOY!
This sauce stores great in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63 Total Fat: 1.6g Saturated Fat: 0.2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 26mg Carbohydrates: 11.4g Fiber: 1.8g Sugar: 7.1g Protein: 1.6g