A little sweet, a little nice and full of healthy, good for you ingredients all piled into this beautiful Purple Sweet Potato Tart!
Hello and Happy New Year! I hope you are all ready to jump into 2018 like I am, full speed ahead! This year I am challenging myself to try and include new ingredients in my recipes that I have never tried before like this jewel of a find, PURPLE SWEET POTATOES! I was very surprised to see them in the produce section of my local grocery store and just knew I had to pick some up. I had no idea what I was going to make with them but I was up for the challenge.
Finding a recipe wasn’t easy since I had made my mind up that I wasn’t going to just come up with a recipe for roasting or mashing them. It had to be something more creative to start me on the right track for the new year. I was dreaming of sweet potato pie with a twist. That is when I discovered this recipe. It came out so good and my family LOVED IT! It was also really fun to make. Most of my recipes are fun since I obviously love cooking, but this one was different and required very little baking, which is a WIN in my book. Ha ha!
Now onto how I made this gorgeous, healthy tart!
First, I had to roast the potatoes. I just put them in foil and roasted them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 90 minutes.
I was super efficient and worked out while they cooked, but before I laced upon my running sneakers, I prepped the tart shell so I could let it setup in the freezer while I waited for the potatoes to cook. Let me tell you, this tart was so delicious. I will be using it again for other recipes like this one.
Just a few simple ingredients: Dates, Almond flour, Coconut oil and chocolate chunks. Yes! That’s it! All thrown into the food processor and then pressed into a tart pan. Easy, peasy.
Then I placed the tart shell into the freezer and headed out for my run. Once I got back the potatoes were done. I set them on the counter to cool for a few minutes until I could easily handle them. I removed the skin and added the potato filling to the food processor along with a can of coconut milk and some maple syrup (again, that’s it, just a few simple ingredients). I blended that all together until it was smooth and creamy and spread the filling onto my tart shell. I topped it with blueberries and froze the whole thing for an hour.
When it was done I just added some powdered sugar on top and it was perfection in a tart!
- 3 medium purple sweet potatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups dates, seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks ( I used soy and diary free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 pint of blueberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees. Place the purple sweet potatoes in foil and wrap them up. Place them onto a baking sheet and roast on the middle rack in your oven for 90 minutes, until tender. Remove and let cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skins and add the potato filling to a food processor along with the coconut milk and maple syrup. Pulse until the filling turns into a creamy mixture.
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until a sticky dough forms. Press the dough into a tart pan and freeze to setup, about an hour.
- Add the filling to the tart shell, spread and top with blueberries. Freeze for another hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!!!