Lentils are an amazing pantry item that you can cook and have on hand all week for quick vegetarian recipes like burgers, Buddha bowls, shepherds pie and even salads. This Perfect Every Time Lentils recipe is one for the books. I make a big batch every week and I have it as a protein packed addition to any meal. Get this, my two-year old even loves them! Yay! I am still working on my older son but he is at least willing to try them even if I have not been able to sell him on it just yet.
These are so good! So easy to make and loaded with so much plant-based nutrition:
- Great source of protein
And they are so delicious! Sometimes I just pair them with a kale salad for a quick dinner. And a glass of wine of course! I never even ate lentils until I switched to a Vegetarian diet and now they are my whole world, ha ha!
They literally come out absolutely perfect every time I make them (hence the recipe title). Only a few pantry ingredients and you can make them ahead and store them in the fridge for up to four days. Awesome!
Here are the steps I went through to make these incredibly delicious lentils.
Step one (Do not skip this step): Sort and rinse the lentils. Super important to make sure there are no stones, twigs or extra dirt on them.
Step Two: Add one cup of lentils and 2 cups vegetable broth to a pot and bring it to a boil. Add garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
That is it! Literally two steps. How easy is that?
Look out for this recipe and more of my make ahead recipes in my “Vegetarian Meal Planning Guide” coming out this summer!
- 1 cup dry Green Lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable or Mushroom Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Make sure you sort and rinse your lentils. I use a mesh strainer and it works out great!
- Add the lentils and broth to a medium size pot and place on the stove. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve or let cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- For a quick meal or snack I like to put some of the lentils into a ramekin and top with some mashed sweet potato and parmesan cheese and put it under the broiler for a few minutes. So good!
- I will also pair these with a hearty kale salad for a quick meal full or protein and nutrients and it's so satisfying.