Lasagna is a classic dish that most of us have had but most likely rarely eat due to the carbs it has. It’s also so simple to make and typically only contains a few ingredients but for some reason it is so delicious and comforting. Must be the heavenly layers of lasagna noodles covered in sauce and cheese. Yum, well this Low-Carb Egg Lasagna is my lighter version. It is noodle-free, has loads of protein but still has layers of sauce and cheese and is the only way I could get my oldest son to eat eggs. I just swapped out the noodles and used eggs. When I am Craving lasagna, this is my number one go to recipe since it is low-carb and high in protein which is what I am going for these days since more protein keeps you fuller longer and I LOVE that! Also getting solid protein in my kids is so important since they are two crazy, high – energy little boys. And they devoured this!
This recipe takes very little time or effort and only contains a few ingredients:
- Pasta sauce
- Fresh basil
First step is to crack and whisk the eggs.
The next step will blow your mind! I am still amazed at how simple this is and the fact that it works perfectly every time I make it!
Just pour half of the egg mixture onto a sprayed baking sheet (I used half size baking sheets for this) and pour the other half onto another baking sheet that is the same size. Make sure to spray them with cooking spray to prevent the eggs from sticking.
Bake in the middle rack of the oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Wallah! You have made your lasagna sheets. Pretty amazing right?
Finally, it’s time to assemble this masterpiece. All you do is follow the traditional steps for making lasagna. Layering in the sauce and cheese between your layers of egg lasagna noodles. OMG!
The only thing I did not include was the ricotta cheese since my kids are not fans but you could add that in and it would be delicious.
I used my special “Sunday Sauce”, recipe coming up this week so be on the lookout! But you can use store-bought sauce.
Layered it up! Baked it and it came out so good! It still had those layers of sauce and cheese mixed in with the lasagna noodles. Satisfied my craving and might I say is actually “healthy and comforting” who would’ve thought?
I hope you try this for yourself! You will make it ALL the time, Promise.
Check out my Skinny Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna recipe that is also healthy and so good!
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray two half size baking sheets with cooking spray. You can also use full size baking sheets but you would need to add about 10 more eggs to the mixture.
- Cracks the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add salt and pepper and about two tablespoons of water, whisk well.
- Pour half of the egg mixture into one of the baking sheets and then pour the other half into the other baking sheet. Carefully place them into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 10-15 minutes. Until they are firm but not browned.
- Remove the egg lasagna sheets and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each lasagna sheet in half.
- Add a 1/4 cup of the pasta sauce to the bottom of a 2.3 quart baking dish. You can use a 9x13 if you are using the full size baking sheet version I noted in step 1.
- Layer in the first egg lasagna sheet, top with another 1/4 cup of sauce, then some mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Continue layering with the egg lasagna sheets, sauce and cheese. Makes about 4 layers.
- Top the final layer with sauce and cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Top with freshly chopped basil and enjoy!!!!
You can cut the lasagna sheets any size to fit an 8x8 or any small-medium size baking dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220 Total Fat: 15.6g Saturated Fat: 8.2g Cholesterol: 235mg Sodium: 430mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 18g