Summer is around the corner and that means wearing less clothing and swimming as often a possible, at least in my world with my two little boys and my sister’s pool that is steps away. To get ready for this warm, bathing suit season I always bring back my slim-down quick meal ideas. This Detox Power Salad is perfect and is my absolute favorite for this time of year. I make a big batch of it so I have it on hand all week for quick lunches or additions to dinners and I even use it on the weekends when I am running around with the kids since it stores great in a mason jar. This salad is vegan, which means it is dairy free so you can take it anywhere and have it poolside, while watching your kids baseball game or during a shopping trip to keep you on track. It contains loads of fresh, nutrient-rich veggies, protein packed chickpeas, the most amazing and easy tahini vinaigrette dressing, pistachios, beets, golden raisins and vegan parmesan cheese (Nutritional Yeast, Cashews and garlic). All ingredients that fill you up, provide all of the nutrients you need to power you through your day and help detox your body, leaving your skin glowing and you feeling like you can take on the world. You know what they say ” You are what you eat” so get to making this salad weekly and you will be on your way to feeling your best self this summer!
Here is how I made this incredible salad.
First, I chopped all of my power packed veggies. My favorite part! I find it very relaxing to chop veggies especially when I am using my box grater or mandolin. Two kitchen tools I could not live without.
Here are the veggies I used:
- Lacinto Kale (My Fav!)
- Red and Green Onion
- Red bell pepper
- Roasted, diced beets
I used the largest side of my box grater to chop the carrots and cauliflower but you can just use a knife. I thinly sliced my kale and onions to keep everything small and easy to eat and digest. The colors are so beautiful!
Next, I added in some texture ingredients.
- Golden raisins
- Green olives
- Vegan parmesan cheese
I added everything to a large bowl and tossed it all together. Then it was onto my incredible Tahini Vinaigrette!
Super simple ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Olive oil
- Maple Syrup
- Tahini Paste
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
I added all of the ingredients to the bowl except the olive oil and whisked to combine it all. While whisking I drizzled in a stream of olive oil to help it all emulsify. This makes it creamy and oh so delicious.
I added the dressing to the salad and tossed it all together and it was perfection!
- 3 large Carrots
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced Red onion
- 1/4 cup diced Green onion
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 cup roasted Beets
- 1 bunch of Lacinto Kale
- 1 15oz can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped Green Olives
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese (See note below on how to make)
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- the juice of two Lemons
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop all of the veggies and place them into a large bowl and toss. You can use a mandolin or box grater to get the veggies to a thinner, smaller size rather than chopping them.
- Add in the Chickpeas, Raisins, Olives and Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Make the dressing: Place the Tahini Paste, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon juice, Garlic Powder, Maple Syrup, Salt and Pepper into a medium size bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking, drizzle in the Olive oil and whisk fast to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To make the Vegan Parmesan Cheese: Place 1/2 cup chopped Cashews, 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast, 1 clove of garlic. 1 Tablespoon Olive oil and salt if needed into a food processor and pulse until fine. So good! Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days and use to top salads, pastas and soups.