Summer is around the corner and that means wearing less clothing and swimming as often a possible, at least in my world with my two little boys and my sister’s pool that is steps away. To get ready for this warm, bathing suit season I always bring back my slim-down quick meal ideas. This Detox Power Salad is perfect and is my absolute favorite for this time of year. I make a big batch of it so I have it on hand all week for quick lunches or additions to dinners and I even use it on the weekends when I am running around with the kids since it stores great in a mason jar. This salad is vegan, which means it is dairy free so you can take it anywhere and have it poolside, while watching your kids baseball game or during a shopping trip to keep you on track.
The glory of all of those nutrients
It contains loads of fresh, nutrient-rich veggies, protein packed chickpeas, the most amazing and easy tahini vinaigrette dressing, pistachios, beets, golden raisins and vegan parmesan cheese (Nutritional Yeast, Cashews and garlic). All ingredients that fill you up, provide all of the nutrients you need to power you through your day and help detox your body, leaving your skin glowing and you feeling like you can take on the world. You know what they say ” You are what you eat” so get to making this salad weekly and you will be on your way to feeling your best self this summer!
Here is how I made this incredible salad.
First, I chopped all of my power packed veggies. My favorite part! I find it very relaxing to chop veggies especially when I am using my box grater or mandolin. Two kitchen tools I could not live without.
The veggies I used:
- Lacinato Kale (My Fav!)
- Red and Green Onion
- Red bell pepper
- Roasted, diced beets
I used the largest side of my box grater to chop the carrots and cauliflower but you can just use a knife. I thinly sliced my kale and onions to keep everything small and easy to eat and digest. The colors are so beautiful!
Next, I added in some texture ingredients:
- Golden raisins
- Green olives
- Vegan parmesan cheese
I added everything to a large bowl and tossed it all together. Then it was onto my incredible Tahini Vinaigrette!
Super simple ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Olive oil
- Maple Syrup
- Tahini Paste
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
I added all of the ingredients to the bowl except the olive oil and whisked to combine it all. While whisking I drizzled in a stream of olive oil to help it all emulsify. This makes it creamy and oh so delicious.
I added the dressing to the salad and tossed it all together and it was perfection!
For the salad
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 large carrots
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup roasted beets
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
For the tahini dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chop all of the veggies and place them into a large bowl and toss. You can use a mandolin or box grater to get the veggies to a thinner, smaller size rather than chopping them.
- Add in the Chickpeas, Raisins, Olives and Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Make the dressing: Place the Tahini Paste, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon juice, Garlic Powder, Maple Syrup, Salt and Pepper into a medium size bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking, drizzle in the Olive oil and whisk fast to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 550mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 13g Protein: 9g