Kale and Squash Quinoa Patties are one of those recipes that for some reason came out perfect on the first try. Something that never happens but for some reason luck was on my side with this one. These babies are crispy on the outside and soft and full of delicious kale and butternut squash on the inside. Literally everything I WANT, WANT, WANT in a Quinoa Patty recipe like this.
Any kind of patty is fun to make and eat. You can really be creative with it as long as you have a main component like quinoa, rice, potatoes, beans or lentils or even a combo of those matched with veggies and some kind of binder like mayo, eggs or greek yogurt. After that you can just let you’re cooking imagination flow and see what you get. What I have learned is that once you get the technique of what you are making down then you can really start testing out your ideas. That’s really what I did with this recipe and it worked so well! That’s what having fun in the kitchen is really ALL about.
A little tidbit about quinoa and why it is kind of a superfood in my book
First of all, what is quinoa? A grain with a nutty kind of texture that can be cooked and used in place of rice for any recipe really or just added to salads, used in patties or veggie burgers like I did in this recipe or even just as side dish for any meal. Quinoa also contains all 9 essential amino acids (building blocks of proteins) that our bodies need but cannot produce on our own so it’s really an ingredient that is important to incorporate into your regular diet. Here is a great article I found on the benefits of eating quinoa.
Some other benefits of quinoa
- It contains plant based protein, about 8 grams per cup
- Good source of fiber, almost twice as much as other grains
- Contains vitamin B and iron
- Quinoa is also gluten-free and low in fat. All good things!
How to make these nutritious Quinoa Patties with Kale and Squash
So easy and a great meal prep recipe since you can use cooked quinoa and mashed butternut squash that you already have on hand plus some other delicious ingredients:
- Sautéed kale
- Chili powder
- Vegan mayo
- Parmesan cheese
- Diced red onion
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Mix it all together and form the patties then cook them in a little olive oil in a pan on the stove top to get them nice and crispy. YUM!!!
Simply gorgeous and full of great flavor! The hubs gave these a 10 out of 10 and he is a very tough critic so win, win, win for me and you!
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup mashed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped kale
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan or regular mayo
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat up a medium size skillet to medium-high heat on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add in the diced red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes then add in the garlic for the last minute.
- Toss in the kale and cook for 1 minute, add in a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the quinoa, butternut squash, mayo, cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper and the kale mixture to a mixing bowl and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and form into 8 patties and place onto a plate.
- Heat up a medium size skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the patties in batches of 4 for 4-5 minutes per side until super crispy.
- Lay on a paper towel lined dish or plate. Cool for a few minutes and ENJOY!
These store great in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 1g Protein: 3g