Simple, comforting and a crowd-pleasing recipe that you have to try! Hearty artichokes stuffed with a cheesy, crispy breadcrumb filling and drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. Perfect for entertaining or impressing your family and friends!
OMG! I am so excited to share this Italian Stuffed Artichokes recipe with you alll! It is so good, easy to make and a showstopper if you are trying to impress anyone with your cooking skills.
Artichokes, I KNOW seem intimidating and too much work but let me just say that they are pretty easy to work with and well worth the effort. I LOVE ARTICHOKES!!!! That tangy yet meaty center that is just perfect mixed with spinach and cheese…yes I am talking about Spinach and Artichoke DIP!!!! It’s so GOOD! Also full of fat and carbs that are not really the healthiest things to put into our bodies. Why do all of the yummy things have to also be bad for us? So not fair! Thank goodness for this recipe swooping in and saving the day. Now you can have your cheesy artichokes but in a healthier way. I love it when things work out!
First off, let’s talk about why Artichokes are good for you.
Health Benefits of eating Artichokes
These are just a few. Check out more nutrition on artichokes here.
How to make these Italian Stuffed Artichokes
First step: Soak the artichokes in some warm water to loosen up the skin. This will make it easer to cut the ends off and trim the leaves.
Second step: Dry the artichokes off, slice off the stem and the prickly top. Then just use kitchen sheers to trim the prickly leaves. This took me about 3 minutes per artichoke to do. Not too bad!
Fan out the leaves to make space for the cheesy breadcrumb filling. Yummy!!!!
Third step: Make the breadcrumb filling. Very easy and just a few ingredients:
- Shredded parmesan and pecorino cheese – or sub in this vegan parmesan
- Salt and pepper
Pulse all ingredients in a food processor and wallah the filling is ready!
Fourth step: Squeeze some lemon juice over each artichoke and fill the leaves with the breadcrumb and cheese filling. Use a spoon and go around each artichoke packing each leaf with the filling ending with the center. Drizzle each with olive oil and more lemon juice.
Final step: Place the stuffed artichokes in a baking dish, fill the bottom of the dish with 1 cup vegetable stock and more lemon juice. It should cover about one inch of the artichokes. Bake in a 375 degree F oven covered with foil for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Increase the oven temp to broil, remove the foil and let them cook for a few more minutes to get nice and brown on top. So GOOD!!!!
Remove and drizzle some of the liquid in the pan over each and sprinkle with some more fresh parsley and salt. Plate and ENJOY!!!!
You just pull off the leaves and sink your teeth into the meaty, cheesy, breadcrumb filling. Crunchy, lemony and oh so cheesy GOOD!
For the Artichokes
- 4 whole artichokes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
For the Filling
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cashews chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Prep the Artichokes:
- Place the artichokes in a pan with about 1 cup of water, enough to cover the stem and 1 inch of the artichokes. Let that sit for about 25-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes place the artichokes on a clean kitchen towel to dry for a few minutes.
- Once they have dried for a few minutes use a sharp knife to slice off the stem and the prickly part of the top of each artichoke.
- Then use kitchen shears to trim the prickly part of the leaves. Continue until you have trimmed each artichoke.
- Rub the outer layer of each artichoke with some lemon. This will prevent them from browning. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Make the filling:
- Place all filling ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine into a crumbly but fine mixture.
- Using a spoon, pack the leaves and top of each artichoke with the filling mixture.
- Place the stuffed artichokes in a baking dish and drizzle each with some of the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Fill the bottom of the pan with one cup of vegetable stock and the remaining lemon juice. The liquid should cover about 1 inch of the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan tightly with some foil and bake for 70-75 minutes. Until you can easily pull off one of the leaves.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil, remove the foil and bake for 3-5 more minutes until the top and sides are nice and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the liquid from the bottom of the pan over each artichoke and top with a sprinkle of parsley.
- Plate, serve and ENJOY!!!!!
- Best if eaten warm and rich away!!!
You can easily make these vegan by using vegan parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 880mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 6g Protein: 32g