Okay, so these meatless meatballs or “neat balls”, were so INCREDIBLE! Yes they require an all CAPS INCREDIBLE! I have made countless versions of vegetarian meatballs, some were pretty good but nothing like these. You almost can’t tell they do not contain any meat. And, they were even more delicious the next day. You have to try these!
The recipe did require a few steps but the ingredients were simple and I really enjoyed making these, especially since the end result was so AMAZING!!!!
My husband loved them and the recipe made a big batch that we had in the fridge all week. So great!
The main ingredients are black beans and extra firm tofu (genius!) with some veggies and other ingredients added in. Of course I loved that the ingredients were easy to find or things I already had which always makes it a fun recipe that you can easily make again.
The first step was pretty standard for a veggie meatball recipe, chop the onion and carrots and puree them in the food processor.
Then puree the main ingredients, the black beans and tofu.
Then you need to form them and roll them in bread crumbs, which gives them this amazing texture.
Then onto the fun part. You need to pan fry them in a little oil to allow the outside to brown and get that amazing crispy taste you get from a traditional meatball.
OMG! So good! Then toss them in your favorite sauce and bake them. Yum!
They came out so great!
- 1 package extra firm tofu, patted dry, crumbled
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste or freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cups of breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Grape-seed oil for frying
- 1 16oz jar of red spaghetti sauce
- Parmesan cheese for topping the meatballs
- In a food processor, puree the carrot and onion and place into a medium bowl.
- Then puree the tofu and add it to the veggies.
- Next puree the black beans and add that to the bowl with the veggies and tofu.
- Add two cups of the breadcrumbs to the bowl along with the mustard, ketchup, eggs, oregano, basil, ginger, garlic, red chili flakes and paprika.
- Mix the ingredients together until it comes together as a stiff mixture.
- Heat some oil in a medium pan to 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating up, form your meatballs. I used a round spoon but you can use any tool you have that will help you form them into the same size and shape and roll them in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Add the meatballs in batches to the oil (about 5 at a time depending on the size of your pan) and cook them, turning halfway until they are a deep brown color. Place them on a paper towel when done and repeat until you have cooked all of your meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the meatballs in a large baking dish and pour the spaghetti sauce over them and lightly toss to coat them all.
- Cover the pan with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove, top with parmesan and fresh basil and enjoy.