The traditional version of a Pavlova with it’s hard outside shell and super fluffy inside all topped with creamy cinnamon coconut whip cream and perfectly tangy, sweet apples. This healthy-ish dessert is one you have to try!
Pavlova is a traditional meringue dessert that is so easy to make and is so beautiful! You can very easily change out the toppings and it comes together in no time, which is my main goal when it comes to desserts. I also LOVE any opportunity to use my stand mixer, which I have had for over 11 years and it still looks and works like new! This recipe was born out of my realization that chocolate and white flour are not agreeing with me lately so I needed to come up with a sweet treat that was chocolate and white flour free as well as somewhat healthy. That is when I thought of this dessert. Figuring it was pretty easy to make because I have made meringue-based dessert recipes before and if I remember correctly, I succeeded so I decided to attempt this Pavlova.
Choosing a Topping
Knowing that traditional Pavlova is topped with whipped cream and berries, I really wanted to mix it up and try something different. Insert my idea to top it with dairy-free coconut cream and chopped cinnamon-sugar apples. YUM!!!
Look at it! It is so glorious and it tasted just as incredible as it looks!
All I had to do was whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, add some sugar and whip a little more, spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for an hour. Then I mixed up my apples with cinnamon sugar and let them sit while the Pavlova cooked. Next I whipped up the coconut cream, added in a little sugar and cinnamon to go along with my flavor theme and chilled it for a bit. Once the Pavlova was done I let it cool and then added my apples and coconut cream on top. So delicious!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/14 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon or less if you want (I LOVE cinnamon)
- 1 can Coconut Cream chilled in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees and place a silpat or parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a stand mixer and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time to allow it all to mix in well.
- Continue to whip until the mixture is stiff and silky.
- Fold in the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it into a large circle.
- Using the back of a spoon, make a shallow well in the center. This will hold the filling later.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 1 hour.
- Let cool for at least 35 minutes on a wire rack before topping.
- Place all ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl and mix well.
- Place the Coconut cream in a stand mixer whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add in the sugar and continue to whip until it is stiff and silky.
- Fold in the cinnamon.
- Place the coconut whip cream in the center well of the Pavlova.
- Top with the apple mixture and place any remaining apples around the rest of the Pavlova. Enjoy!