I Love anything that involves breakfast food especially when it includes eggs and guacamole. This Healthy Southwestern Breakfast Tostada had me at Guacamole and salsa piled on top of a perfectly toasted tortilla and topped with a fried peppery egg! A mouthful to say the least but I made it in under 10 minutes and my husband thought it had bacon in it (lol!). Of course it did not but that’s a compliment since it is completly vegetarian, low-fat and gluten-free. He could not believe how good it was and it was a nice spin on the boring eggs and toast for breakfast thing.
My favorite things about this recipe:
- Super fun to make! Can that be a thing? Well, it is for me!
- Silky guacamole, tangy tomato salsa! Need I say more?
- Crispy tortilla
- The perfect peppery fried egg on top!
- Full of protein, good fat and vitamins to start the day off right!
I started this masterpiece off with creating my incredible GUACAMOLE! SO EASY! Cut and mash the avocado, add some lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper and stir.
Baked up the corn tortillas in the oven for 6 minutes at 425F degrees. Literally perfect every time! Fried up my eggs and I was on my way to eating breakfast like a royal! Ha ha! It tasted and looked so pretty and elegant. Adding some hemp seeds to the top made it even more beautiful and nutritious!
On my list as a GO-TO meal from this day forward for sure!
- 2 yellow corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup tomato salsa
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Place the corn tortillas on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tortilla in the oven (middle rack) for 6 minutes.
- Cook the eggs: Heat a medium skillet to medium-high heat on the stovetop. Crack in the eggs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until fully cooked through and the edges are a bit crispy (about 5 minutes).
- Make the guacamole: Slice the avocado and placed the filling into a small bowl, add the juice of the lime, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mash it up.
- Build the tostadas: Spread some guacamole onto each crispy tortilla, add the salsa, add a fried egg to each, top with the chopped bell peppers, diced red onion and hemp seeds. ENJOY!!!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 2 tostadas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280 Total Fat: 14.2g Saturated Fat: 2.3g Cholesterol: 149mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3.9g Protein: 14.5g