As a Vegetarian or even non-Vegetarian there is really nothing better than a nice hearty and super healthy lentil soup that can bring joy to even the gloomiest day. Am I right? Sometimes all we need to forget our troubles is a comforting meal that also brings some taste bud jumping action into our lives. Not only is this recipe super easy to pull together, it is so good for you and contains a good amount of protein, fiber and a long list of nutrients that you need in your life. Did I mention this is absolutely delicious and I bet even the meat eaters in your life will go crazy for it?
My kids even tried it and did not shun it away, so I know it’s good. Ha ha! Picky eaters approved I guess. Win for me!
Before I get into the making of this incredible dish, let me just take a minute to tell you about the key benefits of eating lentils.
Benefits of LENTILS:
- Great source of Protein
- Lower Cholesterol
- Help with Digestion
- Great for Weigh Loss
- Heart Healthy
Check out my Lentil Chili recipe here.
As you can see in my list of benefits, lentils are a great ingredient to include in your meals and they are also fairly inexpensive coming in at around $1.49/lb. How great is that! So go out and get some lentils to add to your pantry ASAP so you can make this incredibly delicious and healthy soup.
This soup is one that I have been working on for a while since I know that it is typically not easy to ensure that you have great flavor and taste in soup. The additions of the lentils of course and the herbs and spices really gave this soup incredible hearty flavor. A little tip for you when you are making any kind of soup is to sweat out your aromatics like onion, celery, carrots and garlic in your soup pot first to bring out all of their inherent flavor and sweetness. This will add an amazing layer of flavor to your soups every time!
Now onto the delicious part, the making of this incredible recipe!
First, as I said in my tip, chop your veggies and sweat them out in your soup pot for 15 minutes or so to ensure you get all of that flavor in your soup.
Isn’t my new pot so beautiful?
YUM!!! Look at those beautiful colors! Next add in some oil and the lentils and stir to combine everything together.
Then let that cook for a minute or two and add in the rest of your ingredients:
- Vegetable Stock
- Herbs and Spices (see recipe below for list and amounts)
Bring everything up to a boil, cover it and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are cooked all the way through. It was so good!
- 1.5 cups French green lentils
- 2 quarts Vegetable stock
- 3 Large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Medium white onion, diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1.5 Tablespoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat up a large pot or Dutch Oven with 1 tablespoon olive oil on the stove to medium-high heat. Add in the veggies (onion, pepper, carrots), a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in your minced garlic and spices (except the bay leaves) and stir. Cook for a minute to toast the spices.
- Add in your lentil and remaining tablespoon of olive oil and stir to fully coat the lentil in the olive oil and spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock and bay leaves and stir. Bring everything to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through.
- Serve hot and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan and some freshly chopped parsley.
- This soup freezes great and stores great in the fridge for up to 6 days!