Tonight is Halloween and I know most of us parents are both excited to see our kids get dressed up and have fun but we are also dreading the mid-week sugar rush and craziness it all brings. To help fill our kids with some good food that is also fun, I scoured Pinterest for ideas that were both easy and included cheese pizza since that is pretty much the only thing my kids want for dinner these days. They are 2 and 4 so I am sure that will pass but for now there is very little variety. I fell in love with these two ideas that I cannot take credit for but I did make and they delivered what was promised. An easy halloween dinner treat that any kid or adult for that matter would love!
I made both of these in no time at all and I had the ingredients so it came together very quickly. It was also super fun, but don’t tell my kids. Ha ha!
First, the mini mummy pizzas. Most of the pictures on Pinterest were showing these using English muffins and some used pie Doug but I opted for cutting out circles (using the top of a martini glass) out of my store-bough pizza dough and it worked like a charm.
I blind baked the pizza dough’s in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes before I assembled the mummy’s. Then I spread out the sauce and used string cheese that I criss-crossed on top of each pizza. Then I simply cut up some green olives for the eyes (so cute!). I put them back in the oven to bake for 10 more minutes and they came out great!
Now onto the Candy-corn-like cheesy pizza. OMG! This was so good! I also made my own Alfredo sauce successfully for the first time so win for me!
This one was a little more involved but really easy. Especially if you make pizza as often as I do. I rolled out my pizza dough on a floured surface and preheated my pizza stone in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes. While the dough was preheating, I made my Alfredo sauce, in just 5 minutes! You can certainly buy store-bought and it would still taste great!
For the sauce, I melted some butter on the stove in a skillet, whisked in some flour and turned it into a paste then slowly added some milk. I whisked it until it thickened, removed it from the heat, added some parmesan, salt and pepper and wallah. Homemade Alfredo sauce.
I added the dough to my preheated pizza stone, blind baked it for a few minutes then added my sauce and cheese and finished baking it in the oven until the crust was nice and crispy and the cheese was oozy, gooey and nicely melted. AMAZING!
I mean, look at that! And it tasted just as sumptuous as it looked!
There you have it! A super quick Halloween dinner plan for this sugar infused holiday to keep your kids running on something other than candy!
- Store-bought Pizza dough
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 Package of string cheese
- 5-6 green olives sliced (for the eyes)
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 1/2 cup Finley shredded mozzarella cheese (white)
- 1/2 cup Finley shredded mild cheddar cheese (yellow)
- 1/2 cup Finley shredded sharp cheddar cheese (orange)
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Roll out the pizza dough into a circle on a floured surface
- Cut circles out of the dough to desired size using a biscuit cutter or top of a round glass.
- Place the dough circles on a baking sheet, pierce all over with a fork and blind bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the mummies spread some of the pizza sauce onto each circle and layer with the string cheese in a criss-crossed pattern. Place the eyes in desired location on the pizza and bake for 10 more minutes and let cool before serving.
- Preheat the oven with your pizza stone to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the dough into a 13 inch circle, pierce it all over with a fork and place it on the pizza stone in your oven for 5-8 minutes. You may want to add some flour or cornmeal to the stone so that the dough does not stick.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a skillet at medium heat on your stove, whisk in the flour to make a paste, slowly add in the milk, whisking until it becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and add in the parmesan and salt and pepper and it's done.
- Remove the pizza dough from the oven, layer on the white sauce. Add on the cheese, mozzarella in the center, then the mild cheddar and then the sharp cheese to look like a candy corn.
- Bake for 10 more minutes to cheesy perfection and your done.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serve to your little monsters!
- This was so fun. I am definitely doing this again next year along with some other new ideas for sure!