It’s finally May and we are gearing up for warm weather and lightened up snacks and meals that keep us feeling satisfied and happy! In light of Cinco De Mayo which gives us (at least me) an excuse to indulge in my favorite food and drinks combo, Chips, Salsa, Guacamole and of course homemade Margaritas (I have a recipe that I will be sharing soon). I LOVE this kind of food fare and its something my sisters and I make even in the winter since I live in sunny North Carolina and our winter lasts only 4-6 weeks max. I know lucky me but I did grow up in CT for the majority of my life so I feel like I have earned this new sunny spot I now call home.
Back to this incredible dish. My kids and my nieces and nephew go crazy for this and it is a combination of my recipes and my sisters all packed into one delightful and crowd pleasing combo.
First up are my sisters, Perfect Every Time Baked Tortilla Chips. I know it seems much easier to grab a bag of store bought tortilla chips at the store but they are loaded with not so good for us ingredients and sodium so this is a much healthier and I think fun to make version that you can feel better about eating. My kids actually prefer these over the store-bought kind. My five-year old was literally begging me to make these the other day so he will be very happy when he gets home from school today.
So how did I make these? So simple you are going to laugh.
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Grab a pile of corn tortillas (I find that 12-15 make a good size batch of chips)
- Spray each tortilla front and back with Olive oil cooking spray or you can just brush them with olive oil.
- Cut them into wedges or triangles and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet (use two baking sheets if needed).
- Sprinkle the chips lightly with salt and pepper and place in the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 6 minutes. 6 minutes for some reason seems to work every time for my oven but you want to check on them the first time you make them to make sure they don’t burn. Once they are golden brown they are ready.
That’s it! Super easy right?
Next up is my amazing salsa that I have made some many times, I could probably make it with my eyes closed at this point, ha ha.
Place all ingredients below into a food processor or blender and blend until it reaches your desired consistency. So good!
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Fresh cherry tomatoes
- Diced red onion
- Chili powder
- Red wine vinegar
- Lime zest and juice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
Finally the star of the show, the Guacamole!
- Cut three ripe avocados lengthwise, remove the seed and scoop the filling of each into a medium size bowl.
- Add 3 cloves of minced garlic, the juice of 1 lime, 1 Tablespoon minced cilantro, salt and pepper and mash and mix to desired consistency.
Literally perfect every time and my kids devour it! Yay!
That’s it! My absolute favorite thing to eat on the planet and I am so happy I finally got to share it with you! I hope you try this for your celebrations this weekend coupled with some good cold drinks and friends and family. Cheers!
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- The zest and juice of one lime
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Sat and Pepper to taste
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- The juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Spray both sides of each corn tortilla with the cooking spray and cut them into triangles.
- Place the tortillas in a single layer on a couple of baking sheets and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tortillas on the middle rack in your preheated oven for 6 minutes, watch them so they don't burn.
- Remove and serve. Yum!
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise and remove the seeds. Scoop out the filling and place it into a medium size bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mash and mix with a for to desired consistency.
- Serve the salsa and guacamole with the chips and enjoy!!!