Hi there! Do you LOVE donuts like I do? Then you will LOVE these Gluten-Free Protein Donuts.
Okay, full disclosure, I REALLY like donuts, who doesn’t but they literally have zero nutrition. So it is kind of hard for me to justify eating one unless it’s on a long run day but even then it’s still hard to justify. I mean donuts and coffee are a classic combo and once in a while it is just one of life’s great indulgences. Sooo…Are you ready for it? I came up with a Gluten-Free Protein Donuts recipe that is so delicious and get this, It has almost 20 grams of protein and about 200 calories per donut! How is that for a nutrition packed DONUT? This recipe made my day!
I was up very early as usual and began recipe testing as soon as the idea came to me. I was inspired by my Pumpkin Blueberry Waffles and by the time my kids got up for school, about 6:45am, I had made two batches. They loved them! Although, I had one more idea to test after I got them off to school and it turned out PERFECTLY DELICIOUS!
Gluten-Free Protein Donuts are So Good!!!!
These are what you need in your life if you are looking to mix things up at breakfast and forgo the eggs and toast or bowl of blueberry oatmeal.
How to make Gluten-Free Protein Donuts
These babies have so many amazing ingredients that have a crazy amount of protein, you won’t believe it!
So here we go, here is the list of protein-packed ingredients I used
- Oat flour (I made my own)
- Gluten-free all purpose flour
- Peanut butter
- Nonfat greek yogurt
- Egg whites
- Berry flavored vegan protein powder
- Almond milk
Here are the other key ingredients:
- Vanilla extract
- Frozen or fresh blueberries
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Maple syrup (the sweetner)
So easy to make too!
I just mixed my wet ingredients, then my dry ingredients. Combined them together, added in my berries and placed them into a donut pan to bake for 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven. When they were done, I brushed them with a little maple syrup mixed with water and they were divine.
If you are trying to eat more protein or just want a filing breakfast to get you through your mornings, this is a recipe you need to try! Plus it’s kid-approved and will help you get some solid protein in your kids before they head off to school. And, they get to have donuts for breakfast! On a weekday morning! Score! I know, too many exclamation points, but my kids were so excited about these and so was I so exclamation points are highly necessary.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 scoop of vegan berry flavored protein powder (I used VEGA Protein Powder)
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut or muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Place the wet ingredients into a small-medium size mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Place the dry ingredients into a another medium size mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Toss in the blueberries and fold them into the batter.
- Carefully fill the donut or muffin pan about 2/3 full of batter for each donut or muffin.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top turns nice and golden brown.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. While the donuts are cooling, add some maple syrup with a teaspoon of water to a small bowl and stir.
- Remove the donuts from the pan and place right side up on a baking rack.
- Using a rubber pastry brush, brush each donut with some of the maple syrup glaze. Enjoy!
To make homemade oat flour: Pour some oats into a food processor and pulse until it resembles flour. It takes about 1 minute. I pour in about 3 cups of oats at a time but it depends on how large your food processor is. Mine is a 5 cup size.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 6.3g Saturated Fat: 3.7g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 122mg Carbohydrates: 27.7g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 18.7g