I don’t know about you, but I LOVE pizza night! Especially when it is paired with a nice glass of wine and a light salad. Pretty much my favorite Friday night meal. Since pizza is not typically a healthy dish, I have crafted this Crispy Eggplant and Caramelized Onion Socca Pizza. Which is much healthier, higher in protein due to the chickpea flour crust and so good I literally cannot wait to sink my teeth into it every time I make it!
Guess what? It’s so simple to make that I can make it while I am making traditional pizza for the kids. I also always have these ingredients on hand just in case I get a craving for this incredible dish! I have even made it for lunch a few times it’s so quick and easy.
Seriously! Doesn’t this look incredible?
So good for you!
- Plant-based protein
- Vitamins B and C
First prep your dough. Just add the chickpea flour to a bowl with salt and warm water. Whisk and add in some olive oil.
Whisk it all together.
Heat a cast iron pan in the oven for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven so it get’s nice and hot. Remove, add some oil and the batter.
Pour evenly into the pan.
Bake for 12 minutes in the 450 degree oven.
While it’s baking, you can prep your other ingredients.
Slice and bake the eggplant.
Cook the onions until caramelized. So good!
Once the crust is done, top it with a drizzle of olive oil, shredded parmesan cheese, then the crispy eggplant slices and onions. Top it all off with another sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes until the crust is brown and crispy.
Yes please!!!! My new favorite pizza recipe! If you’re not into the eggplant and onions, you can also use the socca crust and just top it with traditional pizza sauce and cheese and it comes out delicious!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Half a medium eggplant, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place cast iron pan into middle rack of oven for 10 minutes to warm up.
- Place flour into mixing bowl with salt and garlic powder and whisk, slowly add in the water and whisk. Set aside.
- Place the eggplant slices onto a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes, until crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat up a medium skillet to medium-low heat on the stovetop with vegan butter and some olive oil. Add in the onions and toss. Cook until caramelized. Set aside.
- Whisk some more olive oil into the batter.
- Once the pan is ready, remove it from the oven (careful it will be hot!)
- Drizzle the bottom of the pan with olive oil and pour in the batter to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, top with the eggplant, onion and more parmesan cheese.
- Place the pizza back in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes, until it gets crispy.
- Remove and let cool. Slice and enjoy!!!!
You can also top with pizza sauce and cheese and skip the eggplant and onions if it's not you're thing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222 Total Fat: 11.1g Saturated Fat: 4.7g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 356mg Carbohydrates: 18.7g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3.8g Protein: 14.9g