Nothing like a big bowl of this Cheesy Vegan Chili Spiced Popcorn to warm you up while watching your new favorite movie with your loved one, or in my case, loved ones on this SWEETHEART holiday.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all of us and let us not only reflect and share this beautiful day with our beloved but let us also allow ourselves to indulge a little in one of life’s pleasures and by that I mean a big bowl of this incredible, cannot stop eating POPCORN!
I know what you are all thinking. How can a Vegan popcorn recipe be cheesy? Well, trust me! I have been Vegetarian for over two years and I have tried a lot of foods that I never even knew existed and because of that I learned a lot of ways to add flavor to food by using healthier, good for you ingredients.
So, how did I get that cheesy taste without adding cheese you ask? Nutritional Yeast of course! Now don’t get scared off by the name ” Nutritional Yeast”. All it is a deactivated yeast that has a nutty, cheesy flavor but it is also a complete protein. What is a complete protein? It means that it contains all 9 essential amino acids that your body cannot produce on it’s own.
Here are a few other benefits of Nutritional Yeast:
- Reduces your risk of disease
- Contains immune boosting properties
- Provides a good dose of fiber
- Contains a good amount of Vitamin B12
I mean, HELLO! So awesome right? I use it almost daily in something I am making and if you have not tried my absolute favorite salad topping (Vegan Nut and Seed Parmesan Cheese), you must try it and yes, it contains Nutritional Yeast.
The topping for this recipe also includes Chili Powder (one of my new favorite spices) and vegan butter, which my family likes more that traditional butter. Lucky me!
Look at that bowl of flavorful GOODNESS!
This recipe also came together in minutes and is my new favorite way to get nutrients into my kiddos and my husband. They literally devoured this and then asked for more so it was a GOLD METAL recipe winner for sure.
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons Vegan Butter (I LOVE Earth Balance)
- 2 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- Cook the popcorn however you normally cook it. I just placed the kernels in paper bag and cooked them in the microwave for 3 minutes and 30 seconds and they came out perfect!
- Place that popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 30-40 seconds, until the butter is fully melted. Remove from the microwave and whisk.
- POUR the butter mixture over the popcorn and toss to combine. There you go! Enjoy!