Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet Recipe – Flavorful spaghetti squash mixed with hearty black beans, mushrooms, red sauce and cheese. This Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet is a perfect nutrition-packed meal your whole family will LOVE! Ready in 30 minutes or less!
This Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet meal is so good. Can be made in one pan and in less than 30 minutes!!! I lightened it up and pumped up the nutrients by using spaghetti squash one of my absolute favorite foods that you can do so much with. Added in some black beans and mushrooms for protein and it’s packing all of the nutrients you need in a one skillet meal! My son even said, “Mommy that looks so delicious!”. Extra points a few days before Christmas for him. This Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet recipe would be such a great quick meal for entertaining guests this holiday season or just for a nice weeknight meal that can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
This Curry Roasted Acorn Squash from the Lean Green Bean is also quick tot make and super, super EASY!
I started with spaghetti squash and roasted it in the oven. You can cook it in the microwave for 15 minutes to speed up the process but I prefer to roast mine in the oven. It only takes 30 minutes or so depending on the size of your squash.
How to cook spaghetti squash perfectly every time!
- Slice the ends off
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise (sometimes I have my husband do this for me)
- Using a spoon, remove the seeds.
- Drizzel the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay the squash face down on a baking sheet and bake in a 375F degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove and let cool before handling.
- Once the squash was done and cooled, I used a fork to remove the strands of delicious squash. It still amazes me how much it resembles spaghetti.
Cooking the veggies for this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet dish
Simply sauté them in some olive oil for 5 minutes and then add in some garlic, salt and pepper and some spices. Yum!!!
I used red onions, bell peppers and portobello mushrooms. All of my fave’s but you can really use any veggie you have on hand. Don’t forget to add in the hearty black beans for some extra protein.
Let all of that cooked for a few minutes before you add in the spaghetti squash.
Finally, mix in some tomato sauce (check out my Quick and Easy 20 Minute Tomato Sauce) spread everything evenly in the pan, top it with some cheese and bake it under the broiler for a few minutes to let the cheese get all melty and brown. OMG! It is just DELICIOUS!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Cut off the ends of the spaghetti squash and slice it in half, lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scrap out the seeds.
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash face down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and let cool. Remove the spaghetti squash strands using a fork to pull the squash away from the skin and set it aside.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat on the stove and add in some olive oil. Add in the veggies and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the spices, garlic, black beans, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add in the spaghetti squash and stir to mix everything together.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Add the spaghetti sauce to the spaghetti squash mixture and stir. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake under the broil or 2-3 minutes, watching it closely so it doesn't burn.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes. Top with chopped basil and ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290 Total Fat: 5.5g Saturated Fat: 1.2g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 193mg Carbohydrates: 52.2g Fiber: 12.1g Sugar: 4.2g Protein: 17.9g