A great way to get your greens in! This Butternut Squash and Greens flatbread was so simple to make and packed a full blast of flavor!
Butternut squash is abundant this time of year and I just simply cannot walk by it in the store without grabbing one. In lieu of that, I am always trying out new recipes that incorporate this abundant ingredient. On that same note, I am sure it is obvious at this point how much I am in love with eating your greens on a daily basis. I try my best to make it a point to include greens whenever I can every day. Because of that, I am constantly trying to come up with recipes that include any kind of greens, kale, spinach and collard greens specifically. This recipe was inspired by the butternut squash sitting on my counter for the past few days along with the amount of greens I had in my fridge that I needed to use up.
My great idea!
We then went to dinner the other night ( a rare occurrence, ha ha)and I had this amazing flatbread that kind of stuck in my mind. Then the idea came to me, why not marry the butternut squash with the greens into a delightful flatbread? Genius!!! I could not wait to try it out!
Easy, Simple and fast to make! Here is how I made it.
Only a few simple ingredients:
Naan flatbread ( I just used store-bought)
Mashed butternut squash
Sautéed greens (any variety)
Squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper.
First step and one of the most important is to bake the naan for a few minutes in the oven to toast it. This will help the bread stay crispy and not get soggy once you add the toppings.
Next you can boil and mash the squash. You can also use acorn squash as well and it would work just fine. Any way you normally do this is fine and add in the usual suspects for seasoning such as garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder and paprika. Sometimes I will also add in some maple syrup to bring out the sweetness of the squash.
Cooking your greens. For some reason this always get’s me excited!
Here I used store-bought since I had them on hand but I have used fresh greens that I sautéed in garlic, ginger and lemon as well. I was home with my kids the day I made this version since we were having a rare snowstorm here in N.C. so I had to take a little help from the store. Mommy shortcuts!
Then it was time to assemble the flatbreads. The BEST part!
Spread the squash on the bottom, then top it with the greens and some fresh goat cheese. Yum!
Put the flatbreads under the broiler for 1-2 minutes but watch them and poof, a perfect lunch or breakfast. I would add an egg on top for breakfast and I bet it would be delicious!
- 3 Store-Bought or homemade flatbreads ( I used store-bought for this recipe)
- 2 cups of mashed Butternut Squash
- 2 cups of sautéed greens of choice (is used store-bought that were sautéed with garlic and ginger)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- the juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the flatbread on a baking sheet.
- Bake the flatbread for 6-8 minutes to toast them a little, watch them so that they do not burn.
- Once the flatbreads are done, set them aside for a couple of minutes to cool.
- In the meantime, setup your assembly station with the squash, greens, goat cheese, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Spread the desired amount of squash on each flatbread, top with desired amount of greens and goat cheese.
- Set your oven to broil and place the flatbreads under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp up and melt the cheese. Watch them carefully so that they do not burn.
- Take them out of the oven, let them cool for a couple of minutes, sprinkle each with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper and there you go! Enjoy!