This morning was a really a good morning! I woke up early, got a good run in before the kids woke up and then got them off to school and they were no trouble at all (which is rare, mornings are usually tough for my kiddos). Then I came home and created this gorgeous breakfast. Perfect post workout meal that was oh so delicious! It’s pretty too which is very important since we eat with our eyes right?
I added in some chia seeds (my new favorite seed) and some vegan coconut yogurt and fresh berries. It does not get any better than that for breakfast. What a great start to the day!
This came together so quickly, which is good since I needed to get to work even though I felt like I had already accomplished a lot today already!
I recently started trying coconut yogurt and I had no idea how good it was! I went with the “So Delicious” brand for this recipe but eventually I would like to make my own. I will let you all know how that goes. For now, I will stick to the store-bought version, which does not disappoint. You would never even know that it is dairy free!
I needed a little extra protein so I added the chia seeds to the yogurt and let it sit for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Chia seeds are another one of those foods that is getting a lot of press lately and for good reason. They are packed with protein and fiber among other nutrients and are also great for boosting your immune system which is key at this point in the year with the cold and flu season upon us. They are pretty versatile and can be added to yogurt, like I have done here, or even smoothies and pancakes.
Then I added some fruity berries and gluten-free Chex mix for crunch. Topped with some flax-seed granola (store-bought) and I was in parfait heaven! Talk about packing a nutrient rich punch!
I cannot wait to make it again using my homemade yogurt and mix it up with different fruit and nut variations.
- 2 cups Coconut dairy free yogurt (any flavor, I used raspberry and blueberry)
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons gluten free honey Chex mix
- 8 chunks of flax seed granola (I used store bought)
- 1 cup of mixed berries
- Rinse the berries and set aside
- Place 1 cup of yogurt and the chia seeds in small bowl and mix to combine. Place in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the chia seeds to soften. Leave in longer if you prefer them to be a softer texture.
- Remove the Chia yogurt from the fridge and get your other ingredients ready to build your parfaits, including two parfait glasses.
- Place half of the chia yogurt on the bottom of you parfait glass distributing equally between the two glasses.
- Layer on the berries, top with the Chex mix and the rest of the yogurt
- Add on more berries and top with the flax granola.
- Serve cold and enjoy!