Crunchy tasty baked onion rings free of oil and full of flavor!
Heavenly and healthy Baked Onion Rings oh my! The holidays’ are moving on fast and New Year’s is quickly approaching. I am planning on having a small get together for New Year’s Eve, really just another entertaining opportunity since I LOVE to entertain. Ha ha! I am thinking the menu will be centered around some small bites with some main dishes ( I have not figured those out yet) scattered in and of course cocktails and wine for after the kiddos head to bed. At least mine anyway since they are still little munchkins and too young to stay up until midnight. I have made these onion rings a few times and I will definitely be making my Amazing Baked Potato Chips.
I figured the combination of these two would work, especially with drinks and the PARTY mood. I am also thinking that baked kale chips would be good to add in along with a lemon and dill vegan mayo dipping sauce. More to come later this weekend on the NYE full spread!
I decided I needed to make these again just to ensure the recipe was up to par for this special evening as we say farewell to 2017. I tweaked it a bit this time and the result was pretty mush my whole world. I could not stop eating these and my kids devoured them which is surprising since I used no oil and I baked and did not fry these babies. They were crunchy with a nice hint of salt and that wonderful baked onion flavor. I am still pinning for these and cannot wait to serve them on New year’s Eve.
Now onto how I made these crunchy and delicious onion rings.
First I sliced my onions. I used white and purple onions since that is what I had on hand.
Next I setup my dredging station with flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. I used gluten-free breadcrumbs but you could use any kind of breadcrumbs you have on hand.
I added some fresh chopped parsley and salt and pepper to my eggs to give it more flavor and a hint of pretty color. I pretty much have to put something green in almost every savory dish I make. Ha ha!
Then I preheated my oven to 425F degrees, dredged my onions and baked them to delicious crispiness perfection!
Look at that crunchy texture! They were out of this world!!!
- 1 white onion sliced into rings
- 1 purple onion sliced into rings
- 2 cups gluten free or panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon of warm water (to add to the eggs)
- 2 cups of gluten free all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Setup your dredging station with three bowls.
- Place your flour into the first bowl, your beaten eggs with the parsley and water, salt and pepper into the second bowl and your breadcrumbs and chili powder into the third bowl.
- Now you are ready to begin the dredging process. First dip an onion ring into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet. Continue until you have coated all of your onion rings.
- Spray the onion rings with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 30-35 minutes. Ovens vary so check them at 30 minutes and if they need more time, let them cook a little longer.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. My kids love a red sauce with a few tablespoons of ketchup mixed in.