Crispy low-carb breaded eggplant layered between sauce and cheese and baked until perfectly crispy and DELICIOUS! Easy to make, packed with so many nutrients and kid-friendly! An easy and fun weeknight dinner.
Delicious and Healthy Baked Low-Carb Eggplant Parmesan is what’s for dinner tonight for sure! Super easy to make and a recipe the whole family will enjoy! It’s also KETO-friendly so have at it! The incredible nut and seed crust gives this eggplant parmesan a nice crispy covering without the flour, breadcrumbs, frying or oil. This recipe is actually also oil free and gluten-free! So good and it was very fun to make which is good since it took me 4 versions to get this just right. Just call me the Goldie locks of cooking. Ha ha!
So what are the components that make this Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan dish “healthy”?
- Good plant based protein
- Vitamins B6 and C
- KETO-friendly, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free
All good things our bodies need AND IT’S DELICIOUS? And you thought Christmas only came around once a year. Ha ha!
Things I like about this Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan recipe?
- Easy and fun to make
- My kids liked it! BONUS!!!
- Great, great! great FLAVOR!
Making this Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
The low down on the low-carb breadcrumbs. Get this! I used just a simple combination of nuts and seeds for this bread-less eggplant parmesan recipe. All so good for you and contain so much flavor! I also added a little nutritional yeast seasoning for that extra cheese flavor because you need the “cheese” in a recipe like this. You can really use any combo of nuts and seeds. I used different varieties when I was testing this out it and worked out great every time! Here is the combo I used for this version of the recipe.
- Hemp seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
Then I just dipped the eggplant slices in egg then in this amazing nut and seed low-carb breadcrumb mixture. Look at that texture! I love it! It really gives the eggplant parmesan this perfectly crispy crust that is just so necessary.
I baked the eggplant until they were nice and crispy and then layered them with sauce and cheese and baked them a little more and it was just this incredible dish that I will now be making all the time. I still cannot believe how good this Eggplant Parmesan was!
If you like this recipe you will LOVE my Amazing Portobello Mushroom Parmesan!
You may also want to check out my Easy Nut and Seed Vegan Parmesan Cheese
My Heathy Baked Eggplant Fries are kind of my new obsession!
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
Prep the eggplant
- Slice the eggplant into quarter inch slices and place on a paper towel lined baking sheet for 30-45 minutes.
Make the breadcrumb mixture
- Place all of the nuts, seeds and nutritional yeast seasoning into a food processor and pulse until you reach a breadcrumb texture. Add salt if needed.
Putting it all together
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Place the breadcrumb mixture in a shallow bowl and place the eggs in another shallow bowl next to the breadcrumbs.
- Working in batches, dip each eggplant slice into the egg and then into the breadcrumb mixture and pat to secure the breadcrumbs to the eggplant.
- Place the eggplant slices in a single layer onto the baking sheet.
- Once you have breaded all of the eggplant, spray it with cooking spray and bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish and lay half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the dish.
- Top each with some sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Place the rest of the eggplant slices on top and top with more sauce and cheese.
- Bake in the 425 degree F oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and ENJOY!
You can store this in the fridge for up to 4 days and just reheat it in the microwave or in the oven at 425 degrees F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 365mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 9g