I know it has been a little while since I posted a new recipe and trust me I have missed this little escape in my life. I’ve been working on creating more balance in my life and this Asian Tofu Lettuce Cup recipe certainly is a good start. Full of good fiber, protein and veggies, just a few things we all need in our diet. Plus, its vegan, low carb and the perfect summer night dinner.
Tofu is a great addition to your diet!
Until recently I hadn’t really ventured into the tofu realm. I think I was a little skeptical because it just did not look very appetizing. Then I had someone teach me how to actually cook it and I started including tofu in my diet. Now I have been able to create amazing recipes that my husband and I have added to our weekly meal rotation and we couldn’t be happier. So I am sharing this with you and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
This recipe also only takes 20 minutes so win for all of us!
Here is how I made this incredible recipe that is now a family favorite!
First I drained and rinsed my tofu. A very important step.
Next I sautéed the tofu in a little sesame oil. My favorite way to cook tofu.
While the tofu was cooking I prepared my sauce and chopped the mushrooms. I LOVE this sauce and I use it in all of my stir fry’s as well!
I cooked the mushrooms with the tofu until they were cooked through then added in some chopped walnuts. After about a minute I added in the asian sauce. So good!
I let that cook for a few minutes then filled my lettuce cups and topped them with shredded carrots and scallions and it was heaven on a plate.
- 1 package extra firm cubed tofu, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 package of boston bib lettuce
- 1 large shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoison sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a wok or large frying pan with sesame oil to medium-high heat. Add in the cubed tofu and cook until browned (about 5-7 minutes).
- While the tofu is cooking, prepare your sauce: Place all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Once the tofu is browned all over, add in the mushrooms and sauté for another 4 minutes. Add in the walnuts and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sauce to the tofu and mushrooms, stir to combine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Lay out the lettuce cups and top with the tofu, mushroom mixture, top with scallions and carrots and enjoy!
This filling stores great in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days for quick meals during the week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 3
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 900mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 12g