Happy Friday All and oh do I have an incredible and creative recipe for you to try. Corn Pesto and Black Bean Spaghetti Squash! Great make ahead or quick fix dinner that the whole family with love. At least mine did! I still cannot believe how the kids just gobbled this up and we had them believing that it was actual spaghetti. They love corn so that was my inspiration when I came up with this sauce. I had my spaghetti squash sitting nicely on the counter just waiting for me to create a sauce to have with it and I was stumped. I knew I didn’t want the traditional spaghetti or pesto sauce so I scoured my pantry and fridge for ideas. That’s when it hit me! How about a spin on black bean and corn spaghetti squash boats? Can I make a sauce out of corn? You never know until you try and it was well worth the try since it came out delicious, creamy and so good. I will be making this for years to come!
I added in the black beans for extra protein but this was just magnificent all on its own and my husband was drooling over it and he is still talking about days later so that means it’s a winner in our house for sure.
Here is how I made it.
Only a few ingredients that you probably have:
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen Corn (cooked)
- 1/2 cup chopped Basil
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Pistachios
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
A few super simple steps:
- Roast the spaghetti squash in the oven for 35-40 minutes at F 375 degrees depending on how large or small your squash is. An average size spaghetti squash typically takes 35-40 minutes to cook.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare your sauce (OMG! This sauce is insane!). Place the corn, basil and parsley, parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped pistachios, Olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until it forms a sauce like consistency.
- Once the squash is done cooking, let it cool, scrap the squash away from the skin using a fork and place the squash strands into a large bowl, add the corn pesto and mix well. Add in a little hot water to help cover all of the squash with the sauce.
- Add in the black beans and wallah! Dinner is done and is so good!
Look how gorgeous that is! Yum!
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family and I did.
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- 1.5 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more to drizzle on the spaghetti squash
- juice of 1 lemon
- 15 oz can black beans
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise
- Scrape out the pulp on the inside of the squash, drizzle a little olive oil, salt and pepper on the inside of each half and place the squash halves face down on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Until a knife can easily be inserted.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- To make the Corn Pesto, place the corn, basil, parsley, parmesan cheese, pistachios, olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until it forms a sauce like consistency. Add in a squeeze of lemon if preferred. Set aside.
- Once the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to pull the squash away form the skin and place into a large bowl, add in the corn pesto and mix to cover all of the squash with the pesto. Add in a little hot water to help mix it all together.
- Fold in the black beans and serve. You can top with additional herbs and parmesan if you like.
This stores so great in the fridge for up to 3 days if you have any left. Ha ha! ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 247mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 9g Protein: 17g