This Air Fryer Apple Chips Recipe is quick and easy to make for a light healthy snack. It is made with just 3 simple ingredients, is sugar-free, vegan, low-calorie, and gluten-free. The chips come out golden and sweet for a guilt-free treat everyone will love.
These crispy air fryer apple chips are a breeze to make and are a healthy addictive snack you can feel good about eating. They are crunchy, and sweet without any added sugar and you can make them in under 20 minutes!
If you have ever made apple chips in the oven using a dehydrator then you know how much time you will save by making apple chips in the air fryer. It’s a lot and I’m all for trying anything that saves me time.
Why you’ll love these air fryer apple chips
- Easy – making apple chips in the air fryer is quick and easy and they cook in about 15 minutes!
- Budget-friendly – A great snack that is sweet and crispy, guilt-free, and inexpensive, especially during apple season.
- Simple – You only need 3 ingredients to make them.
- Healthy – These chips are low-carb, sugar-free, and packed with fiber and nutrients, so eat as much as you want!
What are the best apples to use for apple chips?
You can pretty much use any apples for apple chips but I found the best varieties are Granny Smith apples, Honeycrisp, or Gala apples. These apples are all a good size and have a nice sweet vs. tart flavor that is enhanced once you air fry them.
*Get the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card located at the bottom of the post.
Ingredients you will need
- Apples – Fresh apples are the main ingredient in this recipe that is perfectly sweet and delicious without any added sugar. You can use any type of apples, you just want them to be similar in size and larger rather than smaller since they will shrink a bit during the air frying process.
- Apple pie spice – an amazing combination of flavors that is a mix of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Salt – is used to enhance the flavors but is totally optional.
How to make apple chips in the air fryer
These incredible apple chips can be made in under 20 minutes with just 3 ingredients!
Step one: Prep the apples. Wash and dry the apples then use a mandoline slicer or sharp knife to slice the apples into thin chips. Then place the sliced apples onto a clean paper towel or clean kitchen towel and blot them with another dry towel to remove any excess moisture from the apples.
Step two: Season. Sprinkle the dry apple chips with the apple pie spice and a pinch of sea salt. I like to season them by sprinkling the spices higher right over the apples so they get all nice and evenly coated in the seasoning. This results in amazing cinnamon apple chips.
Step three: Preheat the air fryer to 300° F. Once the air fryer is ready, spray the air fryer basket with non-aerosol cooking spray or olive oil spray and place the sliced, seasoned apple chips into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Expert Tip: Place a rack on top of the apples to prevent them from flying around the air fryer as they cook.
Step four: Cook the apple chips for 15 minutes, turning them over about every 5 minutes, and sprinkle the other side with the seasoning. Check them around 12 minutes to make sure they do not burn. Since air fryers vary.
Step four: Serve and enjoy! Remove the apple chips from the air fryer place them onto a plate and let them cool for a few minutes (they will be super crispy chips as they cool). Then dig in!
Pro tip! Do not overcrowd the air fryer, some overlapping is okay. Cook the apple chips in batches, if needed.
They taste better than dehydrated apples, and the kids will love them too!
Tips for Success
- Choose the Right Apple Variety: Crispy apple chips often come from apples that have a good balance of sweetness and tartness. Varieties like Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady apples, or Gala are commonly recommended because they are sweet apples. However, you can experiment with different varieties to find the flavor and texture you like best.
- Thin and Uniform Slices: Use a mandolin slicer for consistently thin and uniform apple slices. Thin slices will dry out and crisp up better in the air fryer. Aim for about ⅛-inch thickness or less.
- Remove Excess Moisture: After slicing, pat the apple slices with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. This will help them crisp up better.
- Avoid Overcrowding: When placing apple slices in the air fryer basket, make sure they’re in a single layer without overlapping. This ensures even cooking and crisping.
- Check for Crispiness: The apple slices should feel mostly dry to the touch and have a good crunch when bitten into. If they’re still a bit soft or pliable, you can continue to air fry in 5-minute increments until they reach your desired level of crispness.
- Cooking time: Set your air fryer to a low temperature, around 280°F-300°F (135°C-150°C). Cook them for about 15-20 minutes, and flip them over halfway. Keep an eye on them, as cooking times and temperatures may vary depending on the apple variety and thickness of the slices.
- Cooling: Once cooked, remove the apple chips from the air fryer and let them cool on a wire rack. They will continue to crisp up as they cool and become the most delicious crunchy chips.
- Classic Cinnamon-Sugar – Sprinkle the apple slices with a mixture of ground cinnamon and sugar (either granulated or brown sugar) before cooking.
- Spicy Cinnamon – Combine cinnamon with a pinch of cayenne pepper. The spiciness from the cayenne contrasts well with the sweet apple.
- Maple and Sea Salt – Lightly brush apple slices with pure maple syrup and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt before air frying.
- Rosemary and Sea Salt – Fresh rosemary finely chopped and sprinkled on them with a touch of sea salt gives a savory twist.
- Ginger Spiced – Sprinkle them with ground ginger, a hint of cinnamon, and a pinch of allspice for a warm, spicy flavor.
Do I need to peel or core the apples?
In this recipe, you do not need to peel or core the apples. The skin gives these apple chips a nice color and crunch as well as a good amount of fiber. Once you slice the apples the seeds actually just fall out as well, which is why you also do not need to core them.
Of course, if you prefer coring the apples before you slice them then go right ahead. I love the simplicity and the tastiness of this recipe. It really is the BEST healthy fall treat!
How to make apple chips in the oven
- Preheat Oven: Set your oven to a low temperature, around 200°F (93°C).
- Prepare Apples: Wash and core the apples. Using a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife, slice the apples thinly, aiming for about ⅛-inch thickness.
- Remove Moisture: Pat the apple slices dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Season: If desired, season the apple slices. Common seasonings include cinnamon, sugar, or a pinch of salt. Lay the slices flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet, ensuring they don’t overlap.
- Bake: Place the apple slices in the oven. Bake for 1 hour, then flip each slice and bake for an additional 1-2 hours, checking occasionally. The exact time will vary depending on the thickness of the slices and oven variations.
- Cool: Once the apple chips are crisp and lightly golden, remove them from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. They will become even crisper as they cool.
How do you store air fryer apple chips?
Store your apple chips in an airtight container at room temperature to keep them crispy. They’re best eaten within a week.
Other Healthy Chip Recipes
More Apple Recipes
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print